2013 Bikes... News And Gossip

neo

Pity after another 20-30 years on I can barely recall how to fix a simple carb on a car

Hey Cope what car do you know of that actually still has a Carb???

I guess it will be more affordable when there no carbs on Trials bikes lol!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

If you know ANYTHING about the new 2013 Sherco please share it with us here?

If you have an idea of what Sherco will do for the 2013 bikes please share that with us here too.

Please don't hold back. Just let it all come out ;-}

All the best.

Neo

All new frame in '10, new motor in '11 and all new suspension in '12 with lots of other updates through those years. With all that I wouldn't expect many changes for '13.

From others posts I'm guessing you got an Ossa and have a few issues? Goes back to a point I made last year, what makes a good bike is good handling, power and suspension. Don't need the latest in tech. to make that happen.

I have sold a few Sherco's this year and all have been happy with the Kiehin carb!

Sorry sirhc but your guess is incorrect :)

I've spent many, many hours working with Kiehin and OKO carbs but the results (tuning consistency) have never been as good as I'd liked.

If I had to choose between an OSSA or Sherco today I would go with the Sherco. But my issue is that I already have a good Sherco and I want to see more from Sherco to make me part with my money.

Sherco may have had a "new frame in '10", but they did not get a "new motor in '11" (just a new engine case) but all of these things are in the past now and Sherco will have to keep up with the future if the want to maintain their market share.

Sherco have in the past described themselves as "a force to be reckoned with" ..... And this year they need to use that force aggressively..... "Bold new graphics" just won't swing it.

All the best.

Neo

Hey Cope what car do you know of that actually still has a Carb???

I guess it will be more affordable when there no carbs on Trials bikes lol!

Point being, I do still get a car with a carb(80,s vintage emissions and all) in the shop on occasion. Do my best to avoid them!

Now on the trials bikes, it is a different matter. I prefer simplicity, and the high tech of the ossa is just not my bag. They have refined it for years now, and still I do not want to be the blinker with the laptop trying to fix it on the side of the trail.

Seems right now there are only two Ossa dealers here so everything is long distance.

I'll like to find one them '12 Shercos that someone wants rid of, as they will work fine for my needs.

Edited by copemech

sherco have done more than some othery brands in recent years and i find the 2012 a very good bike. Only gripe really is that it needs a better lockstop. For all the technology the ossa isnt actually a great deal better to ride. For me a well set up Gasser or Sherco is the bike to have.

sherco have done more than some othery brands in recent years and i find the 2012 a very good bike. Only gripe really is that it needs a better lockstop. For all the technology the ossa isnt actually a great deal better to ride. For me a well set up Gasser or Sherco is the bike to have.

One must be carefull what one wishes for, you know! Cannot count the times I have slammed those safety stops! Now if you could hop better,,,

Now point being, look at the Gassers, Betas , Shercos all top bikes and they ain't going FI as long as they do not have to. The additional cost and complexity is just not worth it. The bikes already outperform the riders for the majority.

If one wants a good reliable FI, get a Mont! They seem to work and love you long time! The Ossr does not have the trackrecord as yet, and are still being refined. Reports are really good, so be your own test pilot here. It is not a cheap bike and seeme adds a premium to the cost of entry.

Now enter JTG with a high tech bike, well no FI and they ain't going there either till the japs reduce the price like a Plasma TV it ain't happening! (best deals now you know)

i THINK oSSA MADE A MAJOR fu ALONG WITH HONDA using capacitors instead of battery packs for the most part. Seems recently some have realized this on the Ossr, yet that is just mho. I know one thing, do not toutch the throttle on a cold mont after starting, it will cost you a $13 sparkie!

Lessons learnt! Feck that!

Some good information there Cope. But I think the real reason Gassers and Betas aren't going FI is because they don't have the development budget for it.

And I think Beta would be wasting their time throwing money at that old dog of a 2T of theirs..... Can't wait for the replies (from Evo owners) on that last statement :lol:

The Beta 4T is a great engine .... but not that popular now for some strange reason?

I recall that an OSSA owner posted on TC the 'perceived' benefits of his FI...until..he tried a new 300 Gasser and reported that the Gasser carburation was very well sorted i.e.superior (smoother etc.).

Do the benefits of FI out-way the costs?In the current world financial crisis adding FI to a trials bike could be a big business gamble for small company.

Back on track,I hear what you're saying Neo...for the big increase in costs (for a new bike) you expect a big improvement in the capabilities of that new bike (in all areas).

From the Department of Stating the bleedin Obvious:-

Neo, You know you've got to swing a leg over your prospective 2013 steed,it's the only litmus test that counts. :D

I was very cynical in my first reply to your topic but just to contradict my post; the small year-on-year changes that certain manufacturers carry out do mount up over the years.

My main hobby is trying other peoples trials bikes, it's like sampling other peoples girlfriends chips,they always seem luverly. :P

I rode an 08 Sherco 250 a while back and the small suspension changes and engine tweaks were very noticeable making it much easier to ride compared to my 05.

I rode Baldilocks' well set up 2009 Gasser 280 as well and it was a big improvement over the 2006 pros that I was used to, in fact it was a peach, just too much poke !

Wayne

Edited by ham2

Some good information there Cope. But I think the real reason Gassers and Betas aren't going FI is because they don't have the development budget for it.

And I think Beta would be wasting their time throwing money at that old dog of a 2T of theirs..... Can't wait for the replies (from Evo owners) on that last statement :lol:

The Beta 4T is a great engine .... but not that popular now for some strange reason?

The Betas work just fine in 2T and 4T, as well as the others. Why would any company want to throw that much development mony into something that works as well as it does?

I recall that an OSSA owner posted on TC the 'perceived' benefits of his FI...until..he tried a new 300 Gasser and reported that the Gasser carburation was very well sorted i.e.superior (smoother etc.).

Do the benefits of FI out-way the costs?In the current world financial crisis adding FI to a trials bike could be a big business gamble for small company.

Back on track,I hear what you're saying Neo...for the big increase in costs (for a new bike) you expect a big improvement in the capabilities of that new bike (in all areas).

From the Department of Stating the bleedin Obvious:-

Neo, You know you've got to swing a leg over your prospective 2013 steed,it's the only litmus test that counts. :D

I was very cynical in my first reply to your topic but just to contradict my post; the small year-on-year changes that certain manufacturers carry out do mount up over the years.

My main hobby is trying other peoples trials bikes, it's like sampling other peoples girlfriends chips,they always seem luverly. :P

I rode an 08 Sherco 250 a while back and the small suspension changes and engine tweaks were very noticeable making it much easier to ride compared to my 05.

I rode Baldilocks' well set up 2009 Gasser 280 as well and it was a big improvement over the 2006 pros that I was used to, in fact it was a peach, just too much poke !

Wayne

I know what you mean about those test rides, and I try to take every oppertunity. On me recent outing to TN, i had the chance to do a brief back to back on the '12 250 Beta, the "11 250 Sherco and my docile "07 2.9 Sherco. I have ridden the gasser 250 in the past, prolly "09-10 vintage.

All I can tell you is to stay off them if you want to save money. They are all loverly bikes!

the mont idle speed is way too high for a trials bike and i think the ossa may need a min rpm ? does the battery pack sort this out ?

You are correct in this, and the rpm is somewhat neccessary to keep things running in the mont. Not totally sure about the Ossr, but it does seem they are reporting better starting and such with a battery pack. As this system is the same if not similar, I am not sure if anyone has used a pack on the monts, yet ist makes logical sense to me.

I can indeed tell you what happengs if you try to chug a mont for too long. It will try its best to throw you over the bars when the flame goes out!

Why would any company want to throw that much development money into something that works as well as it does?

Well for the same reason we don't have dinosaurs anymore .... Without rapid adaptation they'll eventually go extinct .... And I don't want to be left holding the caucus :lol:

All the best.

Neo

Edited by neo

Well for the same reason we don't have dinosaurs anymore .... Without rapid adaptation they'll eventually go extinct .... And I don't want to be left holding the caucus :lol:

All the best.

Neo

So by that theory there will be a lot of extinct lawn mowers. Or pencils. Wheelbarrows!! If it does the job why alter it.

Sherco have made a good bike now so to radically alter it just for the sake of progress would be counter productive in my view.

I thought fuel injection on trials bikes would be a forward step but from experience any benefits are countered by the disadvantages.

The next very big change will be electric powered bikes. Now that will be a big one.

Funny but I don't see FI as a radical alteration ... just better and more consistent tuning.

My guess is DFI for Sherco ... there are manufactures that do 2T DFI compact systems now and Sherco did redesign that engine case for no (currently) apparent reason. DFI would require lubrication to the big end bearing .... has anyone split one of those new cases yet and seen anything interesting in the crankcase?

Have you checkout the battery life/riding time on the Gas Gas electric bike .... it's a joke!... now that'll need some radical alterations before I'll part with my money. :lol:

All the best.

Neo