Alpina Clutch Settings

cdubb

I am having difficulties getting the cluch to properly respond to the clutch lever.

Long Winded explination, please bear with me:

Clutch lever will not disengage cluch plates. If I pull on the lever, the bike stays in gear, cannot push bike. I tried to adjust the adjustment screw and nut. What I was able to get was enough preload on the clutch diaphram to be able to pull the lever to disengage the cluch plates (only slightly) but when I went to install the adjustment screw nut, there was no thread left on adjustment screw to allow the nut to be fitted on the screw. I'm thinking this would not be acceptable as this would indicate that there is too much pre-load on clutch diaphram. Another indication of overload on diaphram, is when adjusting the screw to the preferrable setting mentioned above, I was less that 1/4 turn to having the clutch plates disengaged even when in gear. (i.e. I was able to push the bike as if it was in neutral, with minor additional friction, when the bike was in gear).

What is going on!? Is my cable the incorrect one? Is it too long? Or is my clutch stack height too thin?

What is the stock length of a clutch cable on a '75 Alpina 350?

What is the proper stack height?

There should be a ball bearing between the pushrod and the 'mushroom' that acts upon the pressure plate. The fact that you have no thread left indicates the ball bearing may be missing.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...