Middle Section Of Exhaust

notslow

I've just taken the exhaust system off of the 99 Techno for a clean.

There was oil running from the end can/muffler.

I've cleaned the end muffler right out and repacked it with the correct packing. It was filthy and thick with oil.

I've also cleaned out the front pipe as best as i can with caustic soda, it's got some oil out but not all, but should be ok i reckon.

I also put the middle section in the Caustic soda for a while, it started to fizz on the outside of the section and get hot. I've read on here that caustic soda eats away at alluminium, so i guess thats whats happening.

I took it out and it seems ok.

What i want to know is this.

What is actualy in this section?

Is there a packaging fibre in there surrounding the perforated centre?

If so how do i get it out and if i can't will the packaging dry out enough so that i can still use this section?

It's standing up in a bucket at the moment and theres oil slowly running out of it.

Also theres a bolt on the top, what is that for? :unsure:

Cheers

:D

Can't say for sure whats in it but I have done the same thing on my '01. All you can do to repack the mid-muffler is cut it in half then weld it back together or buy a new one for $350. I just left mine standing on end for 4-5 days, sprayed it down with solvent to clean it up and put it back on. I did replace the o-rings while I had everything down. Just hope whatever you poured down in it isn't flamable.