Bsa Bantam D1 Rigid Improved Ground Clearance

owen

Hello

I am working on a D1 Bantam which has been converted to a rigid rear end, i want to increase the ground clearance and to my way of thinking, the best way to do it is basically cut the bottom of the frame off and weld it further up and thus moving the end up towards the tank etc. Has anyone got any suggestions or words of advise on this sort of thing.

I appreciate its not to everyone's taste but its a spare frame and the bike needs to be a bit more usable or the project will die a death in the corner of a garage unless some new life is breathed into it!

At the same time, we'll be improving the fork angle, any angles that are considered the "golden angle"?

Thanks for any comments

Owen

I realise it's not relevant to everybody because not everybody is as obsessed about the scottish 2 day as some but if you have ANY asperations of competing there be very careful as they are cracking down heavily i am told especially on rigids. As an example allegedly one competitor this year turned up on the same bike he had competed on for the past few years only to be told at scrutineering he had "too much ground clearence". He politely asked the scrutineer what the actual limit was and was told "dunno but that too much". Of course if youre not bothered about the Scottish then go ahead and make the bike more rideable. One solution i have seen, also helps with the steering angle is to weld some new lugs for the rear wheel spindle under the existing ones then grind the old ones off. Worth consideration?