Re: Grey Coolant

deonattard

I just checked what I drained last night and it is still bright green with no separation, just looks like it came out of a bottle. The grey mix is a mystery, it will be interesting to see if your refill has any changes when you check it or if it was a one off with possible remnants from the casting or cleaning process during manufacture

Borus had stated earlier that they come from the factory with GRO:

The coolant that is used at the factory is produced by Global Racing Oil, 50% organic.

Freezing point -36ºC

Density 1,105 g/cm3 at 20ºC

Boiling point in closed space: 220ºC

my bike was new from the importer so would assume that the green stuff is GRO as above.

I put a support email into GRO with some photos of the coolant, they feel that the engines were most likely poorly cleaned at the factory and that after 1-2 coolant changes it probably won't happen again. They said its been a reasonably common occurance on some brands of new bikes but didn't go into further detail.

Sounds logical enough - we'll change my coolant again this week to see how its going as we did a trial on the weekend.

Also I have an email from Ossa directly to say they use GRO 30% - I am unsure if that applies to all countries or just Australia.

Deon, I took delivery of a new 2012 Ossa last Friday. Before starting for the first time we (my sons and I) stripped it and re-greased the wheel bearings, swingarm, linkage bushes and headset bearings. We checked all the fixing torque settings, bled the hydraulics and adjusted clutch and brakes. We changed the gear oil, and flushed the cooling system. This is something we always do with a new bike for our own peace of mind.

With respect to this thread - we found coolant similar to what you described - a clearish liquid with a suspension of greyish matter (it looks like dilute anti-seize paste???) and some alloy flakes. Remember that we had not started the bike at this stage, so it is unused factory fluid. I have seen a similar thing with two other brands. Could it be something to do with the radiator manufacture???. Anyway, we simply flush it out and replace with some trusted green fluid mixed to manufacturers specs. We have never had any more alloy flakes appear, nor had any cooling system problems.