Michelin X Light On A Twinshock?

heavywrecker

Reduced unsprung weight being my objective you see

Trying to work out whether you're serious or not........

The Yam rims won't always keep a tubeless tyre on the rim, they drop in. I couldn't get one to seat at all on my Majecty when I had it. Blow it up and pop it out onto the rim, then let it down and as soon as it got to about 10psi a section of the tyre just dropped in. A yam mono wheel I had did the same thing, and a KT wheel. The old Montesa/Ossa/Bultaco Akront rims are fine with tubelesss, but the Jap rims don't seem to seat the tubeless tyres well.

An IRC is a much better bet for muddy conditions, cheaper, will last longer and they still grip well when the edge has gone.

Yes Woody, deadly serious. I'm such a useless rider I'll try anything! Lower unsprung weight is surely an advantage that mono's bring?

I have an IRC tubeless on there and it comes off the rim at less than 4psi. That maybe an age problem though.

Do you mean an IRC Tubed-type?

I got the TY for very reasonable money & so don't mind the expense.

I've read the X-Light can be prone to sidewall punctures on tubeless rims at low pressures so the jist of my question was will it be more prone to nip the tube perhaps?

Thanks for the help

Cheers Bill

Yes Woody, deadly serious. I'm such a useless rider I'll try anything! Lower unsprung weight is surely an advantage that mono's bring?

I have an IRC tubeless on there and it comes off the rim at less than 4psi. That maybe an age problem though.

Do you mean an IRC Tubed-type?

Trust me, no advantage whatsoever in that respect. Too much is made of the 'weight' issue. The bike could be 20kg lighter and you wouldn't ride it any better

Your IRC tubeless is coming off the rim for the reason I gave before - tubeless don't work well on the Japanese rims. IRC do a tubed tyre. Michelin also do a tubed tyre but they are useless in mud so leave it alone. Same for Pirelli.

I use tube type IRC tyres on my ossa i have just put a new one on, my last one had a date mark 2006 i new it had been on a long time. I only noticed it not gripping as well this year in the dry (gone hard with age) ive had my moneys worth! if you want to reduce unsprung weight i would look at an alloy axle and shocks

Steve.

I use tube type IRC tyres on my ossa i have just put a new one on, my last one had a date mark 2006 i new it had been on a long time. I only noticed it not gripping as well this year in the dry (gone hard with age) ive had my moneys worth! if you want to reduce unsprung weight i would look at an alloy axle and shocks

Steve.

There you go again Steve throwing your money around LOL New tyre !!! you'll be changing the oil next :hyper:

Hi

A few weeks before the Greensmith I was told not to bring my Sherpa in for MOT if it had and IRC tyre fitted.

Simply put IRC are not road legal (Importers confirmed this) therefore Insurance null and void if used on the public highwaty and, if I was involved in an RTA and the bike examined at scene (as is the norm) then I was toast!!!.

So I bought 2 Michelin x Lites with tubes and fitted one on the Sherpa and the other on the Montesa 247 that I was to ride in the Greensmith.

The rim on the Mont is an original Akront, had to inflate to 50psi to pop the bead on the rim and all was fine and rode with 5psi.

When I was washing the bike of I noticed that bead on both sides had come off the rim over about 1/4 of the bead.

Never ever had any trouble with the IRCs (tube type)so it must be down to the bead being incompatible with the rim.

Need to sort it as I am not prepared to compete in road based events with (in the eyes of the law) an unroadworthy bike.

Old F*** I may be but that is my decision!

So where do I get a 36 spoke tubeless rim!!!!

Just as an observation I prefer the IRC but the manufacturer can't be bothered to get them approved.

Regards

Martin

triple X, why not just put a sanding disc in yer grinder and remove the 'not for road use' wording off your tyre. The tyre is well up to been used on the road, and which plod is going to know what brand of tyre is "good or bad" if the wee markings are not there to tell them?

I haven't needed to do it because I prefer IRCs, but a friend has done it to the rear rim of his MAR and it worked for him with a X11 tubeless.

I have also seen a posting that says you can grind away the inner edge of a tubeless tyre to get the same effect. I think I would prefer to grind the rim because you then only have to do it once

New tubeless 36 hole rims are now very difficult, if not impossible to find and if you do, the last price was over £200

Other option is a used one but condition is obviously an issue and they can corrode on the inside, particularly if they've been used with a tube and water has sat inside the rim for a while.

Never tried an X-lite and never likely to with their price but the X11 and IRC tubeless usually have no problems sitting in a tubed Akront rim even without the mods, so maybe the X-lite is different in some way.

As mentioned above, the mod people usually do if necessary is to modify the bead of a tubeless to mirror a tubed tyre (must admit, I can't tell the difference....) The mod to the rim sounds beyond my skills with an angle grinder too...