Newbie From Ontario, Canada

lone trialer

Hello all, new at the trials game, have been on two wheels for a long time now, but have always admired the discipline and talent required for proper trials riding...

that being said, after a long search on our local (read all of canada) clasifides I finnnaly came accross a machine that was 1: within my budget and 2: not halfway accross the country...

:rolleyes: So Now I am the proud owner of a gently used, not overly abused 2003 yamaha scorpa sy250r that suits me just fine, only I have come to find out that getting spares for this (or any other trials bike) is a bit of a challenge in my current geographical location... :o

Looking for any advice on reliable sites that I can order from...

Currently working hard on basic balance technique...planning to compete in amature competition this summer in Morin Heights! :thumbup:

Welcome Lone Trialer

I'm afraid a lot of Canadian Trialer feel they are lone riders :)... Its too bad the Trials Canada forum has been down for a while now but there are a few dealers who advertise on the Trials Canada website that may be worth checking out for Scorpa stuff. Sorry I can't be more help I went with a GG as there is actually a dealer here in Dartmouth NS.

I'm sure you will have a blast at Morin Heights I hear they do a great job catering to riders of all abilities.

Cheers,

Michael

Try the Trials Ontario site, Lone Trialer: http://www.trialsontario.ca

Bob runs a class act. Highly recommend you try one of his courses/training sessions...well worth the time and money, IMO.

I've found the same thing as you.....getting parts locally is a nightmare. Best bet is typically some of the US and UK trials sites. I've used the following for parts and gear:

http://trialsuk.co.uk

http://www.trialendurodirect.com/

http://www.tryalsshop.com

https://secure.rypusa.com

The shipping on from the UK can add up, but if you're ordering enough stuff, it's doable, and I've found them good to deal with. Quick response. For a Scorpa, you may be stuck with ordering from the UK....not sure how many online dealers in the USA stock parts for that make.

I definitely recommend Ryan Young's instructional DVDs. Well worth it, and the best ones on the market to learn trials technique from.

I see you're a bit east/south of Ottawa area. If you ever plan ot be north of Toronto (Barrie area), give me a ping. You can come play on my obstacle course! Bring a trail bike too.....I have lots of great single track a few hundred meteres from my place!

B) Thanks Guys, I appreciate the info, good on ya Micheal_t you got my little joke...its sad that there is not more going on in and about the ottawa gatineau area..there is tons of beautiful spots in the wakefield area that would be prime for some competition! Will look into getting my hands on the Ryan Young video and stop watching the pro's on you tube that make this stuff look easy :rolleyes: Did two hours on the bike yesterday...never even started er' up... just balancing in the garage :bouncy:

I started out by balancing in the garage as well... its amazing what a work out it can be :).

I should have mentioned that http://www.lewisportusa.com/ is a great spot for all things trials... I haven't bought anything from them (yet) but they seems to have it all.

BTW there wasn't anybody putting on events here in NS and only 2 or 3 guys doing any amount of riding so a couple years ago I started putting on events (despite being a complete noob). Last year I had 3 events and have contact info for about 30 people riding or interested in riding locally... so don't be shy once you get out there you never know who might join you.

I agree on the RYP video... I have not got to the point of needing the advanced one (yet) but I really enjoy the intro one.

Although I have been putting on events and getting riders organized I still really suck as a trials rider so 4 weeks ago I started riding my bike every day (well almost). I just ride 20 minutes or so but I have lost 7 lbs and my skills have really imnproved... I'm also a lot happier and healthier for getting out every day :).

I do the static balancing thing too...but primarily in the winter when I can't ride much if at all due to deep snow.

I have both the beginner and advanced RY DVDs. The former for instruction, and the latter for entertainment. ;-)

Where is the best place to order the dvd's from?

Yep I got mine from Ryan as well... he even sent me an email thanking me for the order... I have been trying to organize enough interest to make it worth his while to visit us and put on his trials school... He does them in Canada every now and then and they are well worth doing if you get a chance.

Yep I got mine from Ryan as well... he even sent me an email thanking me for the order... I have been trying to organize enough interest to make it worth his while to visit us and put on his trials school... He does them in Canada every now and then and they are well worth doing if you get a chance.

I'll be ordering mine shortly, I believe Ryan has visited "trail tours" which is nicely set up atv,trail,and trial bike center located in Ganaraska area north west of Toronto, I would make the trip out if I knew he was going back. I actually found out about this place when "cycle canada" did an article on trials riding at their facility. :thumbup:

I kicked myself for not going to Ryan's course through TrailTours last year....and then this year they only announced it a week before, and I was busy! :wall:

So I've missed it two years in a row. Nopefully he'll be back again in 2013 and I'll be able to go.

I did a course about a year ago at the TTC (Trials Training Centre in southern Tennessee) which was a blast. Also did one though Trials Ontario this past Spring, just west of Toronto (Cambridge area) that was excellent. I'll be going back for some private sessions in Cambridge next year for sure.