Beta Water Pump Seals

rob w

Greetings from sunny Queensland. I have a little dilema that I wonder if someone else has noticed.

My sons and I have 2005 models about 2 months old. At our last trial my 250 started leaking oil from the clutch housing gasket just above the kick stater. There was traces of coolant in the oil so I thought "that'll be the water pump seal that has caused all that". Shouldn't be a problem to fix. When I got home I drained the oil and left it. In the meantime my sons had a practice day. When we got home I walked past the Rev80 and notice that the oil in the sight glass was milky. Probably the same cause?

So I have taken both bikes apart - they both had identical water pump seals 10*18*6 (shaft size, outside diameter, thickness). I picked up some replacements at the local bearing supply - too easy. I have put the 80 back together and apart form the seal being very, very close to the end of the shaft it seams fine. I must admit that I thought about a thinner seal when I was doing it, but as I didn't have one.......

I was about to do the 250, but I checked the parts diagrams instead. It states that the seal should be 4mm thick. (part 25 on the water pump exploded diagram for anyone who has it)

So whats right? The part that the factory put in or the parts diagram? I don't have a parts diagram for the 80 - does anyone know what it should be?

Thanks guys

Rob W in Australia

- they both had identical water pump seals 10*18*6

Aha - no they don't. Just been in the shed checking. The 250 did in fact have a 4 mm seal. So that begs the question. Is the 6mm seal the right size for the Rev80 or should it have had the 4mm as well? I think 4mm given that the 6mm seal only just runs on the edge of the impellor shaft.

Thanks

Rob W

Heh Rob

Just emailed the parts breakdown for the Rev80 and 50 to you. The seal appears to be 10x18x4mm part no 23. The 250 cc breakdown shows a 10x18x4mm. I will check my stocks tomorrow and give you a call.

Hope this helps.

regards

Kal

KD MotoTrials

Beta and Montesa Distributor for Queensland