Model 85 - Alpina - Centre Silencer

happyhenry

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping that dipping my ladle into the deep pool of knowledge here will yield a result.

I'm restoring a 1972 Model 85 Alpina (250) - which is similar to a Model 80 Sherpa but with a larger tank, seat and higher gearing, and I'm looking for a centre silencer.

From the Parts Book: "Silenceiador de escape - Articulo Part No: 80.17-006" - it must be the one with the indentation in the rear to clear the frame member and not the later one with the plain back. There are plenty of new plain-backed units for sale, but I can't find any of the earlier ones.

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on one?

I do have a fairly shonky one, which will need some major surgery to re-pack and straighten out - I'm just trying to avoid all that work by sourcing a 'new' or better secondhand one.

Cheers

Henry

http://www.bultacouk.com/

Have you looked here ?

Thanks b40rt, I've spoken to Dave at InMotion. He doesn't have one and doesn't know when his supplier is manufacturing any more of them.

I've also tried Romeromoto and Frankiemountain in Spain - neither of them have one at the moment.

I've got a feeling that I'm going to have to cut the back out of mine, knock the dents out, repack it and weld it back together again. I'd prefer to experiment on a spare or find a new(er) one that doesn't need the work.

An alternative may be to buy a later plain-backed one and try to reproduce the recesses in the rear and top by the careful use of some heat and a persuader. Could be an expensive experiment though.

H

• 1 month later...

Problem solved for the moment by fitting a Sammy Miller centre box for the M80 (same frame as my M85). Had to make a bracket, fiddle about with the header and make up a connector for the triangular rear box. But it wasn't an expensive purchase, it's easily repacked and it doesn't look out of place.

Buys me time to sort out cutting open the original at my leisure.