Gas Gas Pro New Clutch Plates?

shercoben12

The bike were talking about here is 2007 . How do I raise the fingers? My bike is a 2008 and it's not that light to pull is the spring for 2006 onwards fitted from factory or is it a 'mod'?

The thinner "spring" is stock from the factory so you already have it installed. The problem you may face is that the fingers are too high (clutch pack is too thin, probably from wear), which reduces the pressure on the clutch pack and leads to slipping. In the older GG clutches, the clutch pack width was adjusted by using "shims" or the steel plates in the clutch of different thickness (1.3,1.4,1.5,1.6mm-there was supposed to be a 1.8mm available but I've never seen one). The GG clutches made the last few years have the 2 steel plates of 2mm thickness and the pack width is adjusted by a single fiber plate of differing thickness (the other two are the same thickness), which is always installed first. You can't "adjust" the clutch in your bike to make it wider with the older type "shims" as all of them are less than 2mm and would make the pack thinner, going in the opposite direction you need. You may have to get a new clutch unless you can find an old thick fiber plate (the one used for adjustment) that you can substitute for one the the two that are the same thickness.

Jon

The bike were talking about here is 2007 . How do I raise the fingers? My bike is a 2008 and it's not that light to pull is the spring for 2006 onwards fitted from factory or is it a 'mod'?

Did you watch the video?

Jon, the parts manual shows the plates available thru 2010. So which is it? Just curious to what it is really in the newer bikes.

All the replacement clutches I've got the last few of years have had the twin 2mm steel plates. I've got a set of the "shims" in all the sizes but haven't used one in a long time.

Jon