Sherco Kids 50 Shocker

madman

Hi all, took my lads to do a bit of offroad ripping for a change all was going great till my sons rear shock snapped (this was replaced at Xmas due to leak) leaving him with no rear susspension

does anyone know if there is an alternative mono shock that will fit preferably of the adjustable type since the stock one is fixed :hyper:

My son's snapped, too.

The first thing I did was to begin to resist the temptation to make that little thing haul my fat @ss around.

When installing the new unit, I noticed that the top of the shock was hitting the frame, causing the eye to tweak, so I ground a bit off the frame.

Did the rod snap just below the top eye, like mine?

I was not able to find a replacement shock that fit the area.

The stock shock has three preload adjustments on it. The bottom cap is held on by a snap ring, and there are three different lands on the shock to adjust for differing pre-load.

As to why they snap, I think you will notice that the top mount of the shock is welded slightly off center of the centerline of the shock shaft. My belief is that this was done to facilitate mounting in the 01 / 02 frame.

I would remove the top bearing (it presses apart) cut the top eye off the shock after unscrewing it from the shock shaft (standard threads and it is loctited on so I would apply localized heat) and then reweld the eye on centered over the shaft mount.

If you have an 01 or 02 you will have to grind a small amount of relief into the upper shock mount on the frame to use this shock, the 03 and laters this shock will bolt right in.

Why they break imo is that it is like hammering a nail slightly off center. Also, they come set to the lightest setting on the shock and many times as the kids get older / larger / better the parents are not aware of the other settings so the child is constantly bottoming the shock adding to the stress. Those two things coupled together end up with the shock shaft shearing right at the mount.

Hope this helps,

Al B

I would modify the shock end you have so that you can slide it on and get going upon reciept of the new one.

After several versions, and a shock or two launched out of the press, I made up a pretty simple tool with some all thread and nuts and angle iron to compress the spring to let me change the clip position. Not that complicated, but it sure is not pretty when it comes out of your tool unexpectedly. :hyper:

Good luck getting it sorted.