Bill Cooper RIP

pocket

Former Respected Derby Sidecar Racing Driver/Chassis Builder W.E. (BILL) COOPER who spent his later years with with his sons trials riding in the East Midlands area passed away last week after a long illness bravely born, Funeral Wednesday 20th March 10-40am at Derby Crematorium Main Chapel. Family flowers only please, Donations if desired for The Alzheimer's Society may be sent to, G.Wathall & Son Ltd, 101 Macklin Street,Derby. DE1-1LG. Tel 01332 345268.

• 4 months later...

Hello from Australia

I saw the thread about Bill passing away , a terrible shame

I also read some other threads regarding his bikes

I was Bills passenger for a few years until I emigrated over here in 1972, I think they were my most enjoyable years racing with him

I also saw a question about his trials frames, during the winters over there we used to do trials to keep fit or maybe an excuse to have a few beers Sunday lunchtime

One day Bill said I will build you a trials bike, go & buy a triumph tiger cub engine, so I did & a few weeks later I was riding it, I sold it to a bloke in Derby HOWARD?? his name

In 1984 I cam over for a holiday & did a trial at Whatstanwell? & as before results were compiled in the EXCAVATOR PUB

not much had changed !!!

My condolences to his wife Helen & his sons

If you ever went to his house & saw an oil painting of him racing a sidecar, its me in the chair

FRANK DEAN

Edited by frankclock
  • Like 1

Hi Frank,

I remember you visiting in 1984 and coming to the house.

The painting is still hanging in the same place.

Many thanks for the message of condolences and happy memories of my dad.

I will let my mum know.

Steve Cooper.

Hi Guys.

Just reading this ,

I remember meeting Bill at Mallory, one day, along with old mate Dennis ( Wacker) Westwood, who sadly passed away there.

I admired Bills skills has a metal smith , and always had him in mind when bronze welding my frames.

Do you guys realise the heritage that the sidecar racing guys left us in the sixties to eighties?

Most of them built there own machines ,from a heap of tubes, respect is all I can say.

RIP Bill your memory lives on.

Regards Charlie.