Apico Steel Clutch Plates In 2001 315R

rockgardener

After trying three different types and levels of tranny oil, back-bleeding and readjusting the clutch several times, leaving out a couple of pressure plate springs, and several other superstitious "fixes," I finally popped in a set of Apico dimpled steel plates today (with everything else returned to stock, and Dextron III in the gearbox). The difference is amazing! Zero drag at startup, nice strong engagement, but the most impressive change is the smooth, linear transition from disengaged to engaged - nothing at all like the abrupt, jerky action of the stock plates. I'm not sure any of the other mods really made a significant difference, but this one is unquestionably a major step up. It now feels almost as silky as my new GasGas Pro's clutch, and before it had been nowhere close. I highly recommend these; got mine from BVM - quite reasonably priced at about $26 USD, and certainly worth much, much more for the difference they make.

What can I expect over time - does this brilliance fade?

Yeah I totaly agree with you, have experienced exactly the same. Owned a 98 315 for nine years, tried at least eight different oils over a period of years, none made any discernable difference. Tried the aftermarket dimpled plates and WOW what a difference, like a completely different machine, the difference has to be experienced to believe. Bike is long gone now but clutch performance never deteiorated over time after replacing the stock metal plates with the dimpled.

Hello trialeros,

I have a 2003 315R and your post is interested for me!

Where I can buy the Apico steel clutch plates???

I´m looking the Apico website, but they don´t have steel clutch plates for trials... :-(

Thank you very much

True, the Honda steel plates will work fine -- they're dimpled just like the Apicos. But they're MUCH more expensive - about THREE TIMES the price of the Apicos. And, since nobody is complaining about the Apicos, I can't imagine any justification for spending the extra money on the Honda plates, unless you simply can't figure out a way to purchase the Apicos. Again, I got mine at BVM, no problem; just Google BVM trials parts.