New Boots (waterproofing)

stuartc

Gitten mi'sen some new boots, NOVOGAR,

whats folks ideas on best way to make them waterproof?

Or should that be asking too much for any trials boots?

Sensible and non-sensible answers accepted :hyper:

Edited by StuartC

Have you tried wrapping em in a bin liner Stu and then duct taping up to thee thigh :hyper:

Knowing you , you will need em tall enough to make sure that you can get some good deep holes in the middle of watery sections.

(this is the sensible one :D )

Mark

whats folks ideas on best way to make them waterproof?

Sealskinz waterproof socks !

Tried all the boot brands and they all leak eventually - if you ever get a leak you throw away the socks not the boots.

Used the plastic bags that tennis/squash rackets were delivered in, in my youth. Trouble is that your feet sweated so much that they got wet from the inside.

Seal skinz are better than the Army goretex socks they fit much better. If you find they make you sweat then wear a pair of very thin cotton socks first, it works well. I have tried four differing makes of boots and they all leak eventually.

the thing is, that when there is a section with a river or something, you have someone else step in there to see how deep it is, and only then ride it :hyper: Last weekend we had at least 5 sections that crossed the river, my boots were dry but my dads weren't for some reason...

Just an idea, but has anyone ever tried Vegatable Oil or cooking oil...It should soak into leather nicely and it also repels water.

I've used old gearbox oil on some knackered old boots before, works a treat but a bit smelly. Put it on with a paintbrush for true Steptoe & Son professionalism :hyper:

A little off topic, but you could still benefit...

Trying to keep my alpine stars that lovely white colour, had an idea of painting them, just like Mr.Colleys back in 2001 with the lovely yellow Hebos which his Dad painted for him.

Painting them would keep them waterproof, but what paint to use? It needs to be waterproof, hard wearing and take well to leather...Any ideas you paint experts out there? Someone must have done it before?