In Defense Of The Tl250!

gbmoto

Just a pic of me taken by my daughter riding my TL250 last weekend. They really are more than the trail bike people say they are. Mine is a little modified, removed lower frame rails and rear loop, XL head and flywheel, 280cc Powroll piston, betor shocks,modern tyres, and performs really well. One thing that made a huge difference was a complete new set of internals for the carb ( still available from David Silver ), suddenly an even and very slow tickover and no off idle splutter. Only real problem is the weight if you have to pick it up and then trying to start it if it has been on it's side, a good incentive to not fall off!.

post-24-1117132192.jpg

The TL-250 often gets panned as a trials bike, but I had nothing but good experiences with mine through 15 years of vintage and twin shock trials events, and pulled off some decent finishes with it. The bike is a bit low and heavy...and being a larger rider helps here! Newer TLR shocks helped get the cases up off the ground (and quickened the steering) but when you get past the weight, the motor remains the saving grace, making nice power over a great range, lots of revs, minimal revs... take your pick, and with an incredible ability to find traction.

Even better is the reliability... with 15 years of adding gas, occasional oil changes and a few wear items being the entire effort. That's performance in my books!

Regards, Doug

The bike looks great. I was aware of some aftermarket frames available and considered something similar with my old TL myself to really transform the appearance and performance . However after finishing my Ariel HT5 I'm a little overdosed on project bikes for a while!

I had one of those Honda jerseys way back! They are back in production.

http://www.vintageiron.com/jerseys.cfm