Last Year's Runner Ready For Revenge

ssdt news

Dibs RainWith the memory of narrowly missing out on winning last year's Scottish Six Days Trial (SSDT) still raw in his mind, James Dabill (Beta) is eager to exact revenge on 2012 winner Dougie Lampkin and his other rivals as he heads out on the first day of this year's event. The twenty-seven year old factory Beta rider from Leeds, West Yorkshire is going in search of his third SSDT victory, having already won twice before in 2007 and 2011. If James is victorious he will join an elite group of riders who have recorded the same achievement over the last century or so.

Having just returned from the opening round of the 2013 FIM Trial World Championship in Japan which took place last weekend, Dabill has arrived in Fort William for the famous six day challenge in the Scottish Highlands in confident form. Knowing that he needs a strong start to the week James spoke about his imminent task.

"Obviously what happened last year was hard to accept and has made me even more hungry to win this year," explained Dabill. "In all honesty both me and Dougie (Lampkin) rode really well last year and both deserved to win, but there can only be one name on the winners' trophy and it was unfortunately not mine on that occasion."

"To win the Scottish for a third time would be fantastic and would put me in the record books alongside the great riders of the past who have done the same, although that does not change anything for me, as each time I come to Fort William I come to win," said James who will ride with the number fifty-two plate on the front of his Italian machine this year.

"With both the World Championship and British Championship now being run under no-stop rules, preparation for this year's Scottish has certainly been easier, as normally you get straight back from the World Round the week before and then have to adapt from stop to no-stop in a couple of days."

Dabill continued. "Winning the centenary SSDT was an incredible feeling, however I am now ready to win the Scottish again. I have got a couple of early days to start with this year, but if lady luck is with me and I can get through those and still be in contention, then I will be in a position to challenge for the win again."

"Although the SSDT is not so physically demanding for the top riders, it is mentally very tough and keeping your concentration throughout the week is so important. Obviously Dougie (Lampkin), Michael Brown, and Alexz Wigg are going to be the main guys to beat, but there are also several other riders who can go well at the Scottish. Michael always rides well at the SSDT, but still hasn't managed a win yet, so he will be a real threat again."

When asked which part of the event he looks forward to each year, James joked. "The finish," before quickly adding. "I love every part of the Scottish, it is a unique event which I really look forward to each year. It is a great week to be on your bike and to have fun with your friends, and apart from another win, what more could you ask for?"

View the full article on the SSDT Website