Front Tyre?

bazbro

I'm now up against a problem that you're probably familiar with(!) but I've only just come across - where can I get a 20" trials tyre from?

Do Dunlop occasionally produce some for older 'bikes or are 20" trials tyres now made from "absolute unobtainium"? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

I've even considered lacing another C15 hub onto a 19" or 21" (clearance problems with 21"), while keeping the original wheel (and old, cracked tyre) for posterity. But what a lot of unnecessary and expensive hassle, particularly when I want to keep the 'bike completely original.

What can I do? All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.

Barry

You run a 21" rim on the front. Assuming you are going to use the bike that is. If it's just a garage queen then fill the cracks with silicone and tyre paint it. Nobody runs a 20" front rim nowadays so no manufacturer makes a useable trials tyre to that size. You will probably also struggle to find a tube also although you might be able to bodge a 21" in there. Whats the problem with running a 21" the same as everybody else anyway ? That was one of the first mods we did at the time.

Thanks for that info - I guessed I might end up fitting a different wheel.

"What's the problem with running a 21"..." I know I have a little gem of a 'bike here and I'm really trying not to destroy anything while I "restore" it. I currently have the original BSA wheel so to just discard it is a bigger step than you might think. If the 'bike had already been altered in any way, it would have made my decisions so much easier, but because it is 100% (really, 100%) totally original, exactly as it was purchased in 1960, I'm desperate not to destroy it with careless "modifications".

"Garage Queen..." :lol: Very good! No, it won't be locked in a garage and swooned over, but I'm afraid a Trials Rider I ain't. It'll be used as regularly as I can get out and about on it, and I hope to visit some Trials with it and maybe 'have a go' at something really easy (my trials-riding Dad will turn in his grave!). And if I saw a Lampkin & Co, I'd be honoured for him to "take it for a spin"!

Thanks again for your help. It looks as though it's Plan B then. Unless I can locate a 20" tyre... ;)

Thanks for your comments, folks.

There is a 20" tyre (here http://www.classictyres.com/item/692/300s20-ensign-road-tyre--universal ) but it's not a trials tyre so pretty useless to me.

I'll keep the original front wheel (fitted with its crumbling trials tyre!) purely for posterity, hanging on the garage wall! And then I'll keep my eye open for a ceefer front hub/wheel to lace a new 21" rim to. Then everybody will be happy!

I'll then just wait for the 'anorak' to come up to me and say "Of course, they weren't fitted with 21" wheels originally..." Well, they were, smarty-pants... apparently the factory competition ones did, according to Charlie Prescott (BSAOtter).