04 290 Spark Issue

horney

Hi guys, completely new to trials riding and only been out a few times. Bike will now not spark. Tried new plug, cleaning connections, new ht lead, new cap, new CDI unit. Now thinking it must be the stator?

Am I right to go there next or missing something?

Any info would be great, cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of things here. First you would want to insure the adhesive backed insulation is installed on the mudguard.

Second would be where the timing is set, because if set too slow it can make the exhaust run too hot on mid to hard running.

How did you set it? What year is this bike, "05 or so?

If the bike was smoking a lot you prolly lit off all the old oil and accumulated grunge in it. How does it sound? If it is too raspy like an MX, the packing is gone, if not, it may still be ok after a good burnout of the grunge.

But if the timing is off, it will still get too hot. There should be an index mark on the stator plate on this year as I recall near the top casting web.

Edited by copemech

IMG_3021-1600_zps26aa8e2b.jpg

I set it where the old one was. It seems to perform ok and the smoke isn't nothing over the top, it may be a wee bit smokey but nothing crazy. There is oily residue like the previous owner was maybe a bit generous with the 2 stroke mix so its maybe burning off. I'll be fitting heat reflective tape and scraping the melted exhaust guard off when I get a cance. Cheers guys