Rev3 200

neonsurge

I currently ride a Rev3 270 and although it's fun having all that power for when you're fooling around with mates that same power frequently gets me into trouble, especially during trials. I've been looking around for a new (used) bike recently with the intention of buying a 250 but I've come across a nice clean '04 Rev3 200 and it's got me thinking. I'm aware of the conventional wisdom that says most clubman level riders are over-biked and a 200 (or even 125) will encourage the development of proper technique as opposed to relying on raw grunt to get through sections. The problem is, I'm (*ahem*) on the large side (17st) and a bit concerned that it'll occasionally struggle to drag me around.

Are there any ample-proportioned 200 Beta owners out these who'd like to give me their opinion on whether they feel they made the right choice?

Neon my Rev 3 is a 250 but I have ridden a 200 & thought it a brilliant bike plenty of pulling power & not lacking anywhere I am no light weight either, have a look on the motomerlin website (look for the link) there is an excellent review of the Beta 200 there. All ther other makes of 200 are about 160cc so are nearer to a 125 the Beta is a full 200.

If I were you have a test ride & go for it.

Im 14 stone and my Gasser 200 is a great little bike that has no problems anywhere! Like TrialsRfun says tho mine is only 175cc so the 200cc Beta should be very capable! You dont get as fatigued (sp?) on the smaller engine bikes cos your not wrestling with the extra power! Best to try and get a ride first tho!

Hi Neon -

I have an '01 270 Rev and love it slavishly. Never even considered a smaller displacement model.

But in 2002 my wife bought a brand new GG Pro200 (175 cc) and I was shocked at how much power that thing generates. Granted, there is not a heckuva lot of torque down low, but as long as you are mindful of that it seems like it could pull lots more than I weigh - and I tip in at about 12 stone myself - without a problem. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the Beta on all fronts. But one thing I can't fault the little GG on is power production.

I've never ridden the Beta 200, but I understand from friends who have that it produces just as much power as the Pro, PLUS has good grunt at lower RPM's. Throw in the more solid construction and better ergonomics for the majority of riders that the Italian marque is known for, and I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Hope you get a chance to try one before you decide. Best of luck whatever you go with!

Thanks for everyone's input. I went to test ride the bike this morning and was totally amazed how much power it has! Plus, it's so much smoother and more controllable (for me) than either the 250 or 270. What impressed me most of all was the fact that it's almost impossible to stall - 1st or 2nd gear, no throttle or clutch and it just trickles along along on tickover. Amazing :beer: It's now sitting in my garage :D

However, after getting it home I noticed that the lower shock bearing is knackered and there's about 5mm vertical play in the rear suspension. I probably should have checked this before I bought it but y'know how it is... :beer: Anyway, is this bearing difficult to replace? It doesn't look too bad, just remove the lower mounting bolt/bush (that goes through the knackered bearing) and the swingarm drops, right? Or do I need to remove the shock completely?

Bearings and me don't get on since I spent the best part of 3 entire evenings wrestling with the linkage bearings on an old 280 TXT so any advice anyone can provide would be gratefully received!

Neon good to hear you got the bike, I found it hard to put into words a description of the 200s performance but you managed it very well, just reading it I could feel the enthusiasm coming out.

I cannot help with the bearing problem but I am sure it will be a simple matter & easily fixed.

Good luck keep us posted after you have trialled it for the first time, a comparison with the 270 will be interesting.

Hi Neonsurge...congrats on the new bike!!...one rider here has the 200, and I've always liked it when I have a go on it.

Cant really help you on the bearing issue, but I CAN tell you that last time I took the swingarm off my Rev3 I just could NOT get the mottom bolt/mount of the rear shock undone.

I suggest starting to WD it in advance, even if you're not gonna be tackling the job for a few days/weeks.

Good luck!

The 200 is just what I'm after too, my SY is up for sale at my local dealers...trying to find a decent 200 is going to be the problems...plenty of 250's about.

I don't want to fall into the trap of buying a 250 when i want the 200 :D

Good luck keep us posted after you have trialled it for the first time, a comparison with the 270 will be interesting.

If anyone's really interested in reading a Rev3 270 vs. 200 comparison written by an overweight, ham-fisted and talentless thirtysomething, then I'll do it. In fact, sod it, I'll do it anyway.

The 200's debut will be at a club trial tomorrow night. It's probably not the best idea for my first proper ride on the bike to be in competition, but it's an easy/novice event and to be honest, I'd never be in contention for an award in any case :D

Be interested to hear that. I had the 200 last year (yep I'm Motomerlin) & only got the 250 this time due to the added 05 extra bling was left off the current 200. Overall I reckon the 200 was easier to ride than the previous 250s - for me (overweight, ham-fisted and talentless fortysomething). The relative lack of ooomph gives you grip......but sometimes you do need to spank it to get its best!