Couple Of Clutch Questions (With Photos) - Help Needed Today :-)

sawtooth

As per my other thread, I have awful clutch drag (bike will just stall if stopped on the brakes), just taken the plates out and have a couple of questions.

1. Is the clutch pack tolerance for a Gas Gas Pro 9.75mm/9.85mm? Read in a thread on here that it is 9.75mm/10.05mm, but searching elsewhere online I keep finding 9.75mm/9.85mm?

2. When measuring clutch pack, do you measure across the the fiber pads? If so mine measures between 9.63mm & 9.66mm depending where you measure. (See pic below) If that's correct then mines far too thin on the overall thickness so a new pack is needed.

20130908_081456_zpsfd5c9942.jpg

3. Does anyone know if the DP clutch pack for the Gas Gas Pro fall into the right tolerance off the shelf or is any fettling required?

4. Two of my clutch fingers move outwards (see pic below), is that OK? The rest don't seem to move?

20130908_075945_zps9ab172dd.jpg

4. What is this ring/washer that is half way down my starter shaft (see pic below)? And is it supposed to be like that? In the 2nd pic you can see that it is not a full ring, it looks like a split washer of some sort?

20130908_080712_zpse3a12245.jpg

20130908_080729_zps6cc148bf.jpg

5. Lastly, reading the thread on here I gather that a clutch pack that is too thick will cause drag, but my pack is too thin so why is mine dragging? Shouldn't mine be slipping instead? (which it's not btw)

Edited by sawtooth

Hi again lol....

I fit the dp clutch straight from the box. All fine! The fingers should move, thats fine, just make sure all the fingers are sat correctly when refitting, mine wasnt and it f***ked my release bearing.!

Make sure the washer goes back on the kick start shaft as well

Hi again lol....

I fit the dp clutch straight from the box. All fine! The fingers should move, thats fine, just make sure all the fingers are sat correctly when refitting, mine wasnt and it f***ked my release bearing.!

Make sure the washer goes back on the kick start shaft as well

Hey dude thanks, um only two of my fingers are moving? Will call around a few shops tomorrow morning then and try to get a DP set sent to me next day :-)

Edited by sawtooth

Think I've made progress today. Got a DP friction plate set today, strangely it measured the same as the old pack (9.66mm), fitted it and if anything the drag was worse. Turned out my master cylinder reservoir was low on oil! Topped this up, quick bleed by pumping the lever and the clutch drag was gone! All my fingers are loose now after rebuilding the pack.

I'm guessing my slave cylinder is slowly leaking the fluid into the engine, will keep an eye on the level and have a go at the slave if need be. This an easy job?

So I figured while on top of the game I'll fit my '06+ lighter clutch spring, but all this done was create clutch slip under load! So gone back to the original spring, I couldn't get it to slip (up against a wall, 5th gear, lots of revs, slowly let clutch out and bike stalled).

Am hoping it won't slip when out riding. To me though a pack thats under size should slip yes? So why did the DP pack come undersize out of the box?

3x fiber plates are 2.3mm each

2x steel plates are 1.4mm each

Total thickness = 9.7mm (should be 9.75/9.85mm) So don't know what thats all about?

Edited by sawtooth

I figure brake/clutch fluid can't be good for the fiber plates on the clutch if it gets mixed in to the gearbox oil? A little bit seeping in shouldn't do too much harm should it short term?

Will rebuild the slave anyway asap so does anyone have any info on doing this or any links etc?

Sad to hear you having so much issues, everyone learns the hard way to start with simple then head to complex when fixing a problem.

Well, like you say, you have oil dripping from master cylinder, or it is leaking into transmission. Now I have had my master cylinder leak a tiny bit in a year, out the cap, area IMHO. and due to extreme heat in summer maybe? so mid summer it seems like, I have had to fill my master cylinder, you should fluids once a year anyhow! if not twice like my friends do.

Transmission fluids need change after you run the bike 10-13 hours, that fits a month for me most of the year... so I do that each "meet" (we compete once a month year round on state level) I like to do all maint that night before I load up, air filters, oil changes, check hydraulics and all that.

nice thing is, there are 2 orings in the clutch cover, that is all that can allow a leak into the transmission, anyhow. check all the other bolts and fittings.