Tank Seat Combo Leaks, Can I Fix It?

hoboarchery

I bought another 86 Honda TLR 200 yesterday and it came with a tank seat combo. The frame had been cut so it won't accept the stock tank anymore. The guy tells me that he sat on the seat and it started leaking only had it 5 hours, back in 2009. I am guessing it wasn't installed properly so I would like details on the process too if it can be repaired. It has paint missing on the bottom side where it touches the frame. It is all white but shows red underneath where it looks to be pealing. The seat area is a rough cut fiberglass and looks different than the tank which is smooth. I have done fiberglass repairs before to a canoe, but worry that the gas is eating the tank. There is also a bubble on the side. Maybe bubble is the wrong word, but it is raised and not smooth. It isn't soft though. Thanks Tom

This is what I do. Fix the crack using a exopy from the hobby shop, the kind that is used on RC airplanes and fiberglass cloth. Then coat the inside with Caswell tank sealer. Never leave gas in the tank always drain the tank after a ride and never use a one way value on the vent line. Still using a SM tank I fixed this way for 4 years now

• 3 months later...

Epoxy does not work so well with fuel, vinyl ester which is epoxy modified polyester resin is the stuff you want to use, as stated before you need to find non ethanol fuel and coat the inside of the tank. the avgas suggestion is a very good one if you don't ride a lot , that fuel stays good for 10 years !