Ty 250 Mono Clutch.

wallace

Hi Guys.

My clutch refuses to disengage. When I pull the lever it feels normal but as soon as I put it into gear it just shoots forward.

Its not slipping or anything, quite the opposite.

Any one any ideas?

Gordon. :blink::D:D:wall::wall::wall::wall:

Wet clutches will stick. Especially if they sit for a while.

You could try putting the bike in a high gear (engine off) and rocking it back and forth until it breaks loose, or you could start the bike, get it rolling and ease it into 2nd (this will avoid damage to the gearbox) and ride it. It will probably break loose, unless you have another problem.

But if it worked well last time you rode, you're probably OK.

If it happens too often, you can strip the clutch, clean the plates with brake cleaner and bead blast the steel plates.

I have this often on the older stuff, especially after sitting a while.

Assuming you still have the cable clutch, tighten the handlebar adjuster as far as possible, this disengages tit a bit further.

put bike in 6th gear, release clutch lever, and rock and back and forth until it breaks loose. loosen up the adjuster and go.

If it happens repeatedly, look at the clutch plates, if the grooves are too shallow and worn they don't release well. also if fluid is too thick.

k

Thanks for the replies lads, I,ll change the clutch lube and give it a run up the farm, hopefully that will sort it.

The bike has been unused for a couple of months due to work, holidays etc.

I,ll report back.......

Gordon

Stripped the clutch mechanism, the plates had a sort of waxy stuff on them which I took off with emery paper, put it back together with fresh ATF and its working better than it ever did before.

Do'nt you just love happy endings?

Thanks for all replies.

Gordon

Edited by wallace