Milky Gearbox Oil

neonsurge

I've just changed the oil on my Rev-3 and the old oil came out whiteish and milky. Water in the gearbox, right? I flushed it through with new oil a couple of times and refilled but after a couple of minutes running, it's starting to go the same way (from looking through the sight glass).

I assume that the water pump seal has gone - could it be anything else? Can anyone recommend what parts I need to order?

As always, many thanks for any advice!

more than likly water pump seals gone, also take a look at pump shalft,make sure its not worn and damaged the seals.also make sure the gear box breather pipe is not blocked up, it will coures a pessure build up in the gearbox.the impeller pump is plastic and they do break up some times,remmber to put the new seals in the write way round, some use a double liped seal or single liped back to back :blink:

Alan at FeetUp will have all the stuff you need in stock, I have done this on my 03 bike, it is pretty easy, simply take the whole side case off, and then take the impeller housing off. I changed the shaft, seal, O ring on the impeller housing and the gasket on the engine case. Don't forget to fully drain the radiator beforehand. It is a quick job and only costs about fifteen quid.

The oil in your gearbox may appear to be slightly frothy due to bubbles when running. Try checking your radiator coolant level before and after a reasonable ride to check if water is leaking out of the system, but don't forget that the radiator will not run completely full.

Bob

Thanks for the info guys. After talking to Lampkin's yesterday, I'm not sure that the problem is as serious as I originally thought although I've ordered the parts and will do the job later this week, just in case. Practise tomorrow night, so I'll keep an eye on it.

hi

I had same prob with oil try checking your gearbox breather pipe if it is blocked you will get condensation when the bike is cold and that will send the gear oil milky .Iunblocked mine and it is fine now..........