Repacking Center Section No Baffle

redfly16

I have taken my centre section off the bike to cut the back out and repack. Only to find nothing inside the can other than to bits of bent aluminium baffle about 2 by 5 inch. No sanding or packing at all. Is it possible to make a new baffle out of chicken wire or something similar so I can repack around it. If so any idea on sizes or shape of what I'm to make.

Many thanks mark

Do you know what the baffle should look like? I don't have a 315R but most of the 2 strokes I have use a length of tubing with perforations all along and packing around that. The tube goes from inlet to outlet.

I have also seen some bikes (4 strokes) that had a resonator chamber with no packing.

Wait, your profile shows 315R but you posted this in the GasGas forum. Probably better clarify what bike you are asking about.

Edited by thats_a_five

Haha, yeah, I switched bikes as well. Hopefully someone with a Pro model can tell you what the baffle should look like. Worst case, if the input and outlet end are the same diameter, you could take a piece of tube, drill a bunch of holes and install it after stuffing the case with batting. For sure, the center section acts like a small expansion chamber for the 2 stoke which is good for power. Understand that the entire intake and exhaust work together as a system. Changing one thing can cause a need for jetting adjustments. Worst case you can reassemble with out any baffle.

How do you mean just fill the empty middle section with wadding no baffle

No, I do not mean to fill the case with batting and no baffle. Because your center section had no wadding when you took it apart, you could simply put it back together.

Can you describe the "bits of bent aluminum" more? Were they welded in place? Some resonator type exhaust systems use curved plates to cause the gases to flow around them in a certain pattern. This causes the sound and pressure waves to reflect against each other to reduce the noise level. Some of these systems do not use any wadding/batting.

Sorry I am not more knowledgeable about what is supposed to be inside the center section. If you still have the back off, perhaps you can post some pics.

If you want to quiet the bike, you could make a baffle out of perforated tubing or metal then stuff the batting around it. For the baffle you need something that the gases can expand through but the holes need to be small enough that the batting doesn't simply blow out through the outlet end.