Gearbox Noise

stan wellback

whilst competing sunday, on 2 separate occasions i had a nasty sounding noise from the gearbox.i sounds like a gear

is trying to mesh with the one that is already in use. gear selection is fine. chain and sprockets are fine,ie not loose.

was not kickstart being held back onto ratchet.

obviously got to be opened up, am just after any clues once inside.

thanks.

Hi

Need a bit more info. Is it still making the noise or did it just happen on the two occasions you mentioned?

Have you drained the oil to see if there's anything floating about in there ?

Gearbox problems with the Rotax motor are rare. It happens occasionally on the enduro lumps when they throw a chain at speed and the final drive shaft bends. Would have problems selecting gears and would make a noise all the time if this was the case.

More commonly though the 2 D clips that are on the end of the gear shaft will break...easy way to check. See if you have any movement in/out on the gear shaft. If you have, you will need to split the motor.

The other cause of the noise you are describing is the clutch. Pop the cover off and check for any signs of anything touching the inside of the cover or outside of the basket. Check the clutch has not come loose or the 6 plate retainer bolts are coming undone.

I have plenty of spare gearbox bits if anything has failed, but would think it's unlikely.

Give me a call if you need more help

Martin

• Like 1

ahh, the SWM default reply. it has stopped this topic dead.

I will speak to martin when i get it apart,i just thought some one out there might have an idea.

"SWM default reply" is that thank you in your language ?

well I pulled the clutch cover off over the weekend, nothing in the oil. no end float to talk of, and nothing loose or touching. what ever caused the noise

is inside the box.The motor was getting rattly so it will be a proper rebuild I think.

my workshop suffered flooding recently so the work bench is full. It will be some time before this gets sorted.

will post what i find in due course.

stan. :blush: