Oil In My Water?

paul

After riding the other day i noticed a small amount of grey froth in the clear tube that i have connected from the rad cap to under the engine. When i removed the cap same froth around rad tube but when i squeeze hose clear coolant can be seen with a little froth on top.

I've checked the gearbox breather which is clear and the gearbox oil seen through the site glass is also clear.

I cleaned the top of the rad tube and cap and rode for half an hour but same thing happens.

Lampkins suggest the waterpump seal but say it's unusual for oil in the water and not water in the gearbox.

I presume that there is only a small amount of oil in the water which as it floats is now all at the top.

Without the tube fitted it may not be noticable so maybe this is the early stage of the seal failing and water in the oil is the next step.

I've got a seal and gasket so will change the seal unless anyone can think of any other cause.

Paul

Thanks HondaRS,

Good idea I'll try that first.

The replacement seal from John Lampkin is the single lip type which I presume is fitted open side towards the water pressurized side (I've never taken the water pump cover off as yet so don't know which way around it's fitted) This allows the pressure to keep the seal lip against the shaft.

Can anyone confirm this as its possible that it may be fitted the wrong way around (although this should result in water in the oil)

Another thought is that the oil may leak in when there is no pressure in the system (when the engine is cold)? which may explain the one way leak.

Thanks again

The replacement seal from John Lampkin is the single lip type which I presume is fitted open side towards the water pressurized side (I've never taken the water pump cover off as yet so don't know which way around it's fitted) This allows the pressure to keep the seal lip against the shaft.

Can anyone confirm this as its possible that it may be fitted the wrong way around (although this should result in water in the oil)

As it 'appens, I've just replaced the seal on my bike and you're right, the "open" side of the seal faces the pressurised side (butts on the inner bearing).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I drained the coolant system first as suggested by HondaRS.

The coolant came out clean apart from the last few cc's which were light brown in colour. I then flushed the system through with a hose which removed more light brown muck and then refilled with coolant.

I must admit i didn't have much hope as i check my water on a regular basis and this problem had occured after only two trials.

Anyway i have now riden in one trial and had a couple of hard practices including road work and i'm very pleased to report that the coolant has remained clean.

So thanks HondaRS and everyone else for your help.

Paul