Montesa- Airbox?

rev`er

Almost always when me and Gavin go out on our bikes gavin always seems to have bad performance from his carb because of Crap(air filter spray) at the bottom of his airbox getting into the carb,

Why is this, i use the same spray(PJ1 Filter Spray) and it doesn`t happen to me!

Anyone got any ideas?

cheers

Rev'er, Been using PJ1 filter spray on my 2000 Montesa for the last eighteen months with no problems, does the filter itself need replacing, does Gavin clean the air-box and not just the filter or worst still does the air-box have any descreet splits in it ?

Gaff.

I don't know about the pj1 but we use no-toil and you need to let it sit after applying the filter oil so that the solvent can evaporate. If you're installing it right after oiling, there is more chance that the solvent + oil would be drawn into the airbox. Also make sure you squeeze out any excess oil.

I suspect that you're using too much filter oil, you dont have to drench it. Just spray a little on either side of the filter and work it in by squeezing the filter together. Grease the inside of the lid to catch the big bits of dirt and you shouldn't have problems. If you use too much filter oil, the bike will seem sluggish, cos ot isn't getting enough air

I dont know how the water gets in the, plug at the bottom is water tight and i've cheaked it. I filled the sink and put the air box in it and there as no water getting into it.

Gavin

water normally gets in round the foam bit of the filter! on the lid

i have some fish pond filter foam on mine to stop the **** getting in

will try to post pic if i have time

The filter should be tucked into the lid. So you can't see the filter foam when the lid is on.

You don't need hardly any filter oil. If you're using PJ1 spray then just a light spray on the outward side (in the cone) and thats it !

If you want to you can seal the lid/filter with some filter grease - but I don't think that its really necessary.

If you riding in water and mud a lot, then once you have fitted the rear guard, under the guard seal the join between the airbox and guard with ducktape between the two fixing brackets.

You might even want to ducktape around the lid if you're feeling generous with the tape.

Similar to Mark C, I use the Isopon aluminium mesh glued in behind the vents on the guard to stop the **** getting in.

This combination has worked fine for the last 4 years.

Edited by Subira

Bob Abell, i think you have just answered why my own bike would not start up this afternoon, (tempted fate after putting responce to this thread) i spent the afternoon tinkering with my bikes, 1st job was to put a new (wet) air filter in my Montesa, then quickly start the engine to warm and thin-up oil to ease draining, 1st time in eighteen months the bike failed me, went in doors to have a good sulk for a bit (like grown men shouldn't) then went out and checked for spark, to which there was plenty, put the plug back in and jumped out of my skin when the bike started 1st kick. Was totally baffled untill 5 minutes ago.

Thankyou.

Gaff.

PS. Wonderboy do you have the rubberised foam strip stuck to the under-side of your fender that seals the gap between the fender and top ridge of the air box ???

PS. Wonderboy do you have the rubberised foam strip stuck to the under-side of your fender that seals the gap between the fender and top ridge of the air box ???

No i've put ductap there. Also my air filter does not tuck under the lid but i'll start to do it from now on.

The 4 holes i have covered up with silicon (does this restrick air ) should i use the metal mesh stuff.

Gavin

Is that the four holes in the seat of the fender, leave them open but do as Subira has suggested and put mesh over the inside of the holes, this is something i keep meaning to do my-self. Subira, what type of glue do you use.

Gaff.

dont cover the holes in the rear fender, i preped mine for the scott, taped the holes up to prevent water and shi7e entering the box, had a 5 min warm up around the start field and the bike was choked up due to restricting the air. Use the mesh or leave em open. I've thought abut using the mesh on the filter lid mouth, but never tried it.