My First Go! Balance, Tight Turns, Kicker Ramp...

ben888

I've had bikes for many years and regularly MTB,

BUT... None of that has helped prepare me for trials!! Just bought and rebuilt the suspension (forks, swingarm and linkage bearings) so giving it a first outing.

It's quite a unique riding technique isn't it! After watching a few you tube vids, here is my first attempt in the garden! Any comments, tips, criticisms from all you experienced guys welcomed!

Find a local event , meet some of the greatest people in any motorsport , (remember , we're competing against ourselves , it's not a race ! ) and ride the novice line , I bet from the bike control your showing , you'll move up a class before the event is over ...

Relax , have fun and breath deep before each section ...

And yes , head smacks @ 1 mph and 5 feet can still do damage ....

Glenn B)

And where are you located ??? , We hide out , so you might have a ridding buddy close to you , Practicing/riding with peers always helps and boosts your confidence ....

Edited by axulsuv

Thanks Glenn for the advise and positive comments.

I've updated my profile to show my location, South Dorset in the UK. It would be great to have a riding buddy or two to practice with and learn from locally. Any willing enthusiasts ?!?

yeah get into a club! you would be fine in the intro class and probably wouldn't need much more practice to move up from there. balance exercises can be a tad boring but will fast track your improvement... plus learning to slip the clutch to avoid jerkiness. when doing those turns it can help to be slipping the clutch all the time. you've probably seen them but our club has a pile of trials techniques vids here: http://www.wdtc.org.au/how-to-ride-trials.htm

The vanishing manuveure took ages to perfect, it has the added bonus of saving you guys the pain of watching me turn round badly after running out of room from over-jumping the ramp!! Lol.

Seriously though, thanks for the tips on leaning the bike more and slipping the clutch, I had been struggling with jerkiness so I'll give that a go.

How do you practice static balancing? I find it really hard getting up onto the pegs from the ground when static, without losing my balance. It's easier when rolling to a stop. Any tips for getting this? I'd like to be able get to a point where balancing is comfortable... If that's possible!

lean the bike away from your first foot on the pegs , then slowly counter balance your way upright ... And holding your front brake with the forks turned helps alot too . The bike weighs alot less than you do , so every ounce of pressure you put on the pegs will have dramatic results . And it sounds weird , but learn to steer the bike with peg pressure ... It's a trial and error thing , but you'll know when you've got it . And when you think your good at static balance , double the air pressure in your tires and try again :) Welcome to the fold .....

Glenn B)

Good vid Ben!

For static... lower your pressures right down say 2 in front and 1 in back. Turns bars fully one way (one way will become your fav, practice both ways til even), I hold foot that is to be lifted just behind foot peg so its close to bike and then up onto tippy toe of that foot... lean bike til it feels centred and lift foot from tippy toe to peg (not a fast lift but not a slow lift).

Shift weight from peg to peg to balance. You can also move bars side to side as well for balance (like you did in vid at one stage).

As it gets easy increase pressures in tyres back to normal.

We practice after dinner at night til thighs give out, motor off of course because bike is in house!! Once you get good at it you really only move the bars for static to save fatigue on thighs.... well at mid-fifties at least! You 30 somethings can do it all day!! wink

Mags

Edited by mags

Ben888

It hard to advise as it is very hard to really see your technique due to how far away you placed the camera to the spot where the obstacle is. Can you please re-shoot with the camera closer and then we can really see what is going on? :icon_salut:

Here is another video from today, taken a bit closer as requested.

I'm finding it hard to lean any further as the frame is against my inside boot..?

Thank for the static tips Mags, I've also got the bike in the house!!

frame against the boot? look in the full lock turns vid on the link i put in above and you'll see how the guys are positioning their inside foot on the footpeg to avoid that.

Your videos are really great, they have been a MASSIVE help with the techniques. However, my brain had forgotten half of it once I got on the bike!! I need to really get that foot out on the end of the peg and try and get my knees further apart! I guess it will come with time and practice!

Your videos are really great, they have been a MASSIVE help with the techniques. However, my brain had forgotten half of it once I got on the bike!! I need to really get that foot out on the end of the peg and try and get my knees further apart! I guess it will come with time and practice!

You got me laughing on that one, Ben..... :hyper: I watch the videos from Sherconoob, Trials Training Center, my DVDs at home, and then go out in the yard & still manage to screw it all up! :blink::stupid: Forget to slip the clutch, lean, turn hips, throw arm positions totally out the window, or whatever...... Yet I still have fun riding......

To me, your technique looks pretty good, Ben. And I think the type of practice you're doing is really some of the best a person just learning this game can do. Tight turns & balance are pretty much the foundation for everything else needed in this sport.....

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron