My First Go! Balance, Tight Turns, Kicker Ramp...

ben888

That looked like a great way to be spending a day.

Did you ride the same section more than once before moving to the next? We typically ride the whole loop makes it a bit tougher to remember the section when you get back to it :)

As far as adjustments you might need to be a bit more careful next time... LOL LOL

adjustment_zps655698e3.png

Hahahaha, I missed that one!

I was in the beginner group so we had our own sections which we rode twice forwards, twice backwards. That made it a good learning experience. The other groups, Novice upwards, ride the 10 section loop 4 times. Sure was a fantastic day!

Others have given you good tips on foot position and keeping the knees out.

A buddy of mine taught me the best way to keep the weight on the proper side of the bike is to think "to go right, go left (with your head)" and "to go left, go right." In other words, keep your head on the outside of a turn. Watch others, as soon as their head goes in, they will dab on the inside.

Try to keep your shoulders parallel with the bars. That forces your butt to the outside helping with the counterbalance.

Also, try to look farther ahead. For super slow stuff its OK to watch the front tire but any faster and you want to look where you want to go. The best way to clear an obstacle is to look past it.

And yes, trials is humbling. Anyone can go fast. All that takes is the ability to twist a throttle and hang on. In trials we must perfect the skills of falling off both the left and right sides, as well as looping over the rear tire and the highly specialized 3 point landing: face, and both hands still on the bars, landing in perfect unison as the bike rotates over our flying W. :chairfall:

Ben,

Now thats a way to while away the hours!! Watched the whole thing and throughly enjoyed it!

I agree with the camera flattening the terrain. I did a great vid to show the kids and make me out to be some semblance of a beginner hero! Looked like i was riding in the local carpark it was so flat! ahahahahaha It was humble pie for supper!!! Hehehehe

I've yet to attend any beginner days in the clubs here in Oz but I hope they are like that. My wife would love to attend a day like above, all the comps sections are insurmountable to her at this stage.

Edit: I'm on to you mate with those many fingers on the clutch! Every time you touch the clutch lever with more than one finger you owe me a pint! (brownAleWink)

Mags

Edited by mags

Blimey Mags, you watched the whole thing!?! I hope you were static balancing while watching ! ;)

I reckon ill be owing you a few pints, i hadn't even noticed until you said!!

My new to me club has very generously organised for a few of us, to go on a free of charge training day with Steve Saunders, the ten times world champion! :)

Cant wait, roll on the 18th october!! ,

Oh, and next trial is the later this month. The bug has bitten!!

• Like 1

I did watch the whole thing... and I'm gonna force my wife to watch it tonight on big screen! She loves watching all things trials! I just purchased the Steve Saunders Trials 2000 learner DVD and we watched the whole thing in one go! She then went outside and rode her Beta for ages and actually bettered her Fig 8's!

You guys get him in person! Lucky buggers!

We are doing our first practice day with a club this Sunday. Cant wait and should be a fun day! I might snap a few pics.

The bug has bitten us hard as well! Seems to be the norm once someone gets a go on a trials bike!

Mags

G'day Ben,

The practice day with set sections was cancelled. It was organised by another club than the one I joined so don't know the issue but that doesn't matter really... was not to be this time.

A few guys from the club I've just joined decided to try Gap Creek which is where I mainly ride. About a dozen of us went there for a fun day and a bit of practice in the terrain for the comp to be held there next weekend.

We had an absolute ball... blue skies, spring temps and time flew like an eagle! So much so I didn't get to even put the go pro on, or get the still camera out!

This was the first meeting with people from the club we just joined, so was a meet and greet day for us as well as a ride day.

I was also experimenting with helmet headsets for wife and I to communicate on the trials, enduro and road bikes... and plain forgot the cameras.

Thanks to Mark and Josh for taking us into some very rocky terrain and coaching my wife into some sections she would not have attempted until much later in her trials quest. She has decided to enter her first trial (next Sunday) and give it a go! Exciting times!!!

We met another couple yesterday where mum and dad both ride trials. The mum is a beginner to trials so my wife might have ride buddy for when she needs a break from us guys!! Hehehehehe So good to see another lady on a trials bike.

Met Sherconoob in the flesh for first time and we had a great chat... he might have some footage from the day? And yes... he sounds exactly the same in flesh as in the vids without American accent! Hehehehehe

Mags

• Like 1

Met Sherconoob in the flesh for first time and we had a great chat... he might have some footage from the day? And yes... he sounds exactly the same in flesh as in the vids without American accent! Hehehehehe .....Mags

sadly i ignored the camera too... which was kind of pleasant actually as i always seem to be filming! but the other guys got some footage so could always stitch something together.

all that balance practice your missus has been doing must have paid off, C was looking very relaxed on the bike yesterday. i'm sure she'll cruise through the intro sections easlly at the first comp and probably start champing at the bit for clubman sections in the near future!

Yeah, it was kinda weird Barry? I think we were having too much fun and just plain forgot to click a few pics?

Hell, we didn't even get to the section over the mountain... and we tried twice!! Hahahahahaha Just too much going on I think.

Mags

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I had my second trial today, amazing venue called the beacon, a big, steep hill overlooking the village, views for miles!

I moved up a group from beginner to novice. It was significantly more challenging, but not so much that it became dangerous. Only had a couple of offs, but also some clean sections.

The course was 10 sections with 4 laps, quite a bit of riding between sections which was great with the amazing scenery!

3 1/2 hrs riding time, I'm a aching well now, but exhilarated too!

I've put together a 10 minute video from the gopro, just waiting for the YouTube to upload, as soon as it's done I'll post it here if anyone fancies a look :)

Ben

Hey Mags, I'm using Final Cut Pro X for editing the gopro footage, works well and very intuitive to use..

Here's the video showing all the sections we did, and some of the riding in between. We started at #6 at the top and worked our way around four times. I collected 23 points. It was an awesome day, can't wait to ride with Steve Saunders next month!

59 Ben Novice O 1 0. O. O. 2. 3. O. O. 8. O. Total 23

• Like 1

Good Work, Ben!

I enjoyed watching that (and happen to share a like for the same music you used!)! To me, it's really cool to see how people in other areas of the world do their events. It's also cool that you guys have Observers at the sections. A lot of ours don't have Observers; the riders do a "Group Check" deal where we observe/score each other. Sometimes we have a tough time getting enough people out for the Observing jobs, as well as more riders......

It looked like a fun ride, and in a really neat area. Glad to hear you got some cleans! That's always a huge confidence builder, and confirms that "Hey! I must be doing something right!" Keep up the good work, Sir!

Jimmie

Thank you Jimmie, glad you enjoyed watching it, I sure enjoyed riding it!

It is really great that there are willing volunteers observing the sections, sometimes we have to 'group check' the odd section, but we are very grateful to the people who kindly observe for us. It keeps the scoring consistent and keeps the flow of riders going, all adding to the enjoyment.

To that end, a massive thank you to all the organisers and Volunteers of the Somerton mcc club, great event guys!

Ben