Bike Trials As Cross-Training For Moto Trials?

jml

Currently I don't have access to much trials country as my bike is down south of where I live (2 hours away) as I don't have enough room for it in the City (Australia/Sydney/CBD) so currently I only ride on the weekends. I was thinking about buying a trials bike to muck around on during the weekdays. I'm wondering if this is a good form of cross-training for moto trials? I have noticed that a lot of the guys who a very fluid on the motorbikes are from a bike trials background. If I was to buy a bike, it would most likely be a mod 20" and mostly would just dick around in small areas up stairs and what not.

Thoughts?

Anyone else done the same? Did it help?

I'm able to ride my trials motorcycle around my yard for a bit of practice but... start it up warm it up do 20 mins put it back was ok but not for every day or twice a day practice. Well, not for me at least I'd rather wear it out at the trials grounds in the main.

With this view I've just purchased a trials bicycle and had my first go yesterday! Hit the deck twice just trying to static!!! Ahahahahahaha Helmet, shoes and gloves on so no body or bike damage but it taught me to RESPECT it today!! Hehehehehe

I can static much better today and will start on slow fig 8's next. No falls today and having a ball on it. Much harder to static on it verses the motorcycles. As for raising front wheel...its like stone at the moment! Hehehehe Bike weighs about 8 kg.

I grab it and go and do 20 mins... no motor to wear prematurely, no noise and uses a smaller area than the motorcycle. Will take it with me in the car and practice anywhere.

I'm primarily using it to make my balance even better and because its easier to use in parks and sensitive areas et cetera you just get more practice.

I may even do a simple trick in the months to come but if not its no biggie I'll keep using it for just a bit of fun and balance training.

The bicycle was about $1300 but is on special at the moment for $700 so I grabbed one from Victoria. Its a Zoo Echo 20 inch.

Edit: I'll put a pic of it in here... in the morning.

Mags

Edited by mags

if you consider there is no perfect balance point and your body is constantly making very small adjustments, to keep the bike balanced, i would say a bike would be a great tool to improve your riding, even possibly working out the technical side of riding but also on the physical side, you can't go wrong, i was thinking of buying something like a mountain bike but just for the fitness side of it, ride to the shop instead of driving.

I have been riding in the woods for about 20 years now and had the same idea...get a trials bike to make my woods riding better...did it help? sure..however in the last 2 years i have put more hours on my trials bike than my woods bike...be careful it's fun...you can get hooked..

My father did the same thing with MTB and Road riding, he used Road riding as training for the Mountain Bike and now pretty much exclusively rides road.

The bicycle was about $1300 but is on special at the moment for $700 so I grabbed one from Victoria. Its a Zoo Echo 20 inch.

Edit: I'll put a pic of it in here... in the morning.

Mags

I think I was looking at that bike on biketrialsdirect's website, there is also the Echo lite SL for $960. One of the problems with bike trials I have found the private resale market is very small and limited to only a few forums where people post up FS ads.

if you consider there is no perfect balance point and your body is constantly making very small adjustments, to keep the bike balanced, i would say a bike would be a great tool to improve your riding, even possibly working out the technical side of riding but also on the physical side, you can't go wrong, i was thinking of buying something like a mountain bike but just for the fitness side of it, ride to the shop instead of driving.

It would definitely help with the technical and the physical side of the fitness equation. Also with the bike being much lighter you can get away with certain things that would end in disaster on a moto trials bike.