348 Ignition Questions

berkshireduncan

Hi all, I've got no spark..

The bike cut out mid-trial a week ago, but restarted first kick when cold with a new plug. I assumed it was the plug, but after 2-3 hours running it died for good on Sunday- leading me to suspect the coil or condenser.

I'm new to 70's Spanish bikes, so was hoping for a little advice.

With the R/H cover off, I've got a steel rotor with a brass-coloured band around. It's held on by a 22mm tube nut which protrudes about 25mm. It's stamped 'Motoplat Electronica', and all I can see through the 10mm inspection hole is a dark red plastic cover with a small direction arrow.

My coil is Montesa and has 2 x LT connectors (1 small, 1 large)

A TDC gauge and rotor tool are on my shopping list- but I'm curious.. from previous posts, I got the impression (maybe wrongly) that the points gap can be set with the rotor in-situ, so:

i) Does my set-up sound like OE 348?

ii) Is there a simple & conclusive coil test (I have a meter)

Thanks in advance, 'DNF Duncan'

My 348s had points ignition. Sounds as if someone has modified yours by fitting motoplat electronic. You will need to remove the flywheel to check. To hold the flywheel you will need a band clamp, then to remove it a puller. If you don't have a band clamp an impact wrench can be used to remove the nut but I would not advise using this to refit flywheel, too easy to over or under torque the nut.

If it is a motoplat contact Bradford Ignitions.