Beta Techno Wiring Oddity

markc

Recently bought a 95' Techno with a strange wire setup for the ignition kill. The ignition kill wire from the coil has been rigged to a switch that connects to the horn, then the other wire from the horn goes to the 12v output on the voltage regulator as shown in attached image. The wire colors in the image are the same as on the bike. The kill switch actually works as wired but I wanted to remove the unneeded horn.

Shouldn't the wire coming from the kill switch to the horn instead be connected from the kill switch to the ground?

Thanks, Markc

post-9001-0-93195800-1424296739_thumb.jpg

Does it sound like you stepped on a frog when you kill the motor? In this arrangement, all you would need is a kill button to earth red wire from coil. I do not understand the part about pressing two buttons? Unless perhaps the earth wire is connected non center, but reversed with one the others so two different button must be pressed to make to earth (series).

Thanks for the reply. You're right about the earth (in this case the horn) being non centre as I followed the only two wires from the switch to under the tank cover. The prior owner told me that two buttons needed pressing to kill ignition but the switch body had to turned on the handle bars a little sometimes. The pressing of the two buttons was to make the ign kill wire hit a curved metal in the switch and the other button hitting the other side of this curved metal thus connecting the two wires. Suspecting a poor connecting or corrosion I cleaned the switch and followed the two wires to under the fuel tank/frame cover and saw one going to the horn and none to ground.

After some more investigation I found the wire going to the horn was broken inside the loom so the horn was not connected to the switch. How the bike ignition went to ground then was by holding both buttons firmly down, the curved metal then was able to contact a bare spot on the anodised handle bars to ground out the ignition. Mystery solved. :)

Thank You

I am glad you understood just what I was trying to get across, as I had a couple pints by then!

Junk that stuff and just get a standard kill button off Splatshop or someone. They have a two wire switch with a dedicated earth you can run back down to the frame, or the tethered kill switches are in fad as well, but a bit more costly.

Oh, BTW, I am Mark C.