Jack Wood Video River Kwai

aids

With No Spectators aloud at this group, I though I would show, for those how don't know what this group of sections look like and what the riders have to ride up.

If you don't know about this well known group, once the riders enter at the bottom, they is only one way out and that's at the top

(the video only shows half way up the full length of the gully, to the big step)

• Like 4

Hi,

Climbed the River Kwai several times in the old days on a heavy old Ariel - happy memories. Also tried to photograph it for TMX, etc., a few times.........

The only other section like it that I ever encountered was one in the Shropshire area in the early 1960's where you arrived at a "stop" sign where some 'helpers' put a harness round you and then lowered you into a hole in the ground where a stream entered a large cavern.

Then you undid the harness and they lowered your bike down to you with the succinct message, "There, get out of that......"

The only way was to ride the bike up the narrow rocky stream gradually climbing up the ravine........

Can anyone recognise it?

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

PS. Remember Jack well.

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

That brings back memories.. I was HMCC club sec in the early 80"s and ran the Hillsborough Trophy Trial (as it was then) for few times along with Donald Brown who was clerk of the course until emigrating. Only rode the Kwai a couple of times as course closer but it was tough. (I only ever aspired to Novice). My avatar is from the HMCC Novice & Veteran trial at Hollowmeadows, can't remember the year but I had hair !. I was riding a demo Fantic from Jeff Hall.  I see from recent results that Dave Thorpe, Keith Hobson and Dave Knaggs (Haggis) are still riding.

• Like 1