Front Brake

badmotofo

I have a 1976 TY250 and a 1976 TY175 with 250 forks. Each bike has the same issue with very poor front brakes. Holding the brake arm by hand locks the wheel pretty good – though I know it is not the same as when under riding load. My feeling is that the issue is with the cable. I purchased an OEM front brake cable for the 175 (the 250 is stored elsewhere at this time) as the old one had snapped at the perch as I was muddling with trying to get the brake to work better. The old one was not OEM. Oddly, The new cable does not fit into the 'Cable Joint' that is attached to the brake arm. The slot is too narrow. Checking part numbers, the 175 and 250 run the same cable. I ordered and received a 434-26341-04. However, the the cable itself has 4344104-5A08 printed on it. (??) I am hesitant to open up/drill out the slot in the cable joint. But, I'm hoping that installing this cable will give real braking power. Also, what is the correct direction for the cable joint to be mounted? Slot opening facing front or back?

Thanks,

post-8354-0-63054300-1433219821_thumb.jpg

Sometimes you have to make things fit, but it looks like the cable is more or less there anyway, perhaps the nipple is binding on the brake arm which isn't allowing it to go in.

I suggest removing the 'cable joint' from the arm so that you have a better idea of how much to remove, you may find that you're then more confident at how to resolve the problem.

Slot to the rear.

• Like 2

As you can see from your own picture the cable won't fit with it's holder fitted to the brake arm, and likewise can't fall out of there when fitted correctly. Pull the split pin and fit the extended nipple in the hole (you may need to cut a little of the black plastic cable cover off) It makes NO difference which way round you fit the holder.

With regard to "poor brakes" while a NEW cable will give you a smoother action I would replace the OEM shoes with the EBC grooved ones and also before fitting remove the actuating rod attached to the brake arm. Give it a really good cleaning and a light greasing when refitting as this will stop the brake locking on.

Tony

• Like 2

Thank you for the information. I didn't think of taking the holder off to install the cable. It fits perfectly and I'm pleased to say I now have front brake stopping power on the 175. Time to order an OEM cable for the 250. Next thing to do on the 175 is figure out why on throttle chop the motor (I'm looking for words here) doesn't fall gracefully into low revs but will surge _ where the revs go up and down. My hunch tells me its fuel delivery but I must inspect.