Oset 16 Batteries

We just picked up an OSET 16, and an OSET 20 yesterday.  OSET 16 24V needs new batteries. Anyone have a good battery recommendation? Amazon has a bunch of 12v/14ah batteries or should I go through OSET? Charger was also having issues so I got a new one on order from Amazon, specs all match OEM charger.  

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but joined to try and get a bit more info about Oset bikes and batteries (Google searches link to this site).  My son has a 20R and the run time was pretty poor, so I bit the bullet and ordered a Boost Lipo batter after speaking in depth with a trials dealer in the North of England.  The link to the page is below:

http://2machsmotorcycles.com/?product_cat=oset-batteries-lipo-standard

I've only had the battery for a few days, but the difference is night and day; the bike runs 2-3 times longer easily and charges pretty quickly on the supplied charger.  Not cheap, but the best upgrade you can do.

Hope this helps.

Hi

I have been using a boost battery for a few months. They are fantastic and I've had no problems at all.

7kg lighter and runs for hours. A 2015 16.0 racing only weighs 19kg now.

There are a number of sceptics / scaremongers around these batteries. I have spoken to the maker of the batteries and I now

Have no concerns around using it.

Hi

I have been using a boost battery for a few months. They are fantastic and I've had no problems at all.

7kg lighter and runs for hours. A 2015 16.0 racing only weighs 19kg now.

There are a number of sceptics / scaremongers around these batteries. I have spoken to the maker of the batteries and I now

Have no concerns around using it.

Its not scaremongering when you are informing people of the facts . The use of any high density battery no matter what chemistry has risks, as with anything else, but some chemistry's are more problematic than others. If you are aware of the risks and take the necessary precautions in the care of the battery's then they should give trouble free service.

What have the maker of these battery's told you that makes you so complacent about the safety of these battery's ?.

perhaps you can share the information and that will help others ( myself included ) , Im guessing you know what chemistry is used in the cells ,the C rating , HV/LC cutoff ,balance current and max continuous current from the bms. 

Hi zamboni9,

Can't comment for your location, but my experience of buying batteries (lead) for a 12.5 24v Oset is that you get the best price if you buy ones that are just sold as 'batteries' not 'Oset batteries'. Know the size and capacity and search for that on eBay. Think the last pair of batteries I purchased were about £35, compared to £60+ if I'd gone via Oset....sounds like you've done the same with the charger.

LiPo - agree with s1vwl, LiPo's make a huge difference to the bike. Weight saving and the fact they maintain their volatage at high current draw means the bike zips up hills much better with Lipo.

However, also agree with gwhy, to be fully safe you need a very good understanding of the risks and how to use/care for the batteries. Because I'm tight I went down the Hobby King plus loads of reading route (lots of great info on here, alot supplied by gwhy - thanks!) instead of paying for somebody else to do the thinking and sell me shrink wrapped plug and play solution. I would like to know what is contained in the Boost packs that takes all this thinking away from the user! I suspect Oset haven't gone down the LiPo route themselves yet because of the risks and the fact the bikes would no longer be 'ride until they die then plug in' anymore.

• 1 month later...