Only Getting 1St And 2Nd Gear ?

cabby

No Cabby, the top hat is on the right (there is a line joining the green bits to the red bits in that diagram).

Once you remove the clutch, you will see the top hat (red arrow below) which is held on with a circlip. After re-assembly, you have to adjust the eccentric bolt indicated with the green arrow below.

You might want to consult the Jim Snell "GasGas Pro Engine repair videos" videos at http://www.trialspartsusa.com/youtube.htmlto see how that is done.

post-16811-0-46292400-1438668534_thumb.jpg

On the later bikes you pull the bearing through from the clutch side then i think there is enough space for the shift shaft cams to pass through. Check before you start as its 2 years since i did this

Edited by baldilocks

I am slightly confused by that picture above.

I need to remove the clutch to see if tophat is broken but seems the tophat is actually at the gear lever side, is that right ??? cause that's how it looks in that picture.

No the top hat is on the clutch side. It connects to the opposite end of the shaft that the shift lever connects to. You can see the slot in the shaft that the pin that breaks slides into. I will try to video it tonight.

--Biff

OK, to let you know where I am at the moment.

I have the clutch out, and have rocked the lever, when going up to second the spring goes all the way out, however, when trying to go up another gear it only goes half way up (hope that makes sense).

Took a vid of it but now my phone is playing up and can't get it to upload. Plus I need to get circlip pliers to remove said spring as it's tight as hell and won't come off with the pliers I have at the moment.

Anyway, is what I have described(poorly) still sound like the tophat issue ???

Yes because your not there yet. I did a really bad video but my boy Zippysgasgas hasn't told me the team password yet so we will do this with photos. 

Without the cir-clip and the washer under that clip removed you can't see the problem. Here is what the top hat looks like with the washer that would go under the cir-clip looks like. 

image_zps8kaedgsl.jpg

Now when you remove the clip and the washer you will see that the top hat shear pin is no longer one piece!

image_zpsziqxjuq9.jpg

Now my lesson is trying not to reproduce the failure that i am trying to describe each and every time!!! hahahah oh well. I didn't save the dab but i got props for trying.

--Biff

When this happened to me I dropped it by the shop and had it fixed in no time... I used to love taking things apart and putting them back together but the easy stuff is relatively cheap for shops to do and they can do it while I am at work. Really I am just getting old and lazy but if it where me I would load it up and have the guys at the shop spend 30 minutes on it... I'm sure they would appreciate the fact that you got as far as you did.   

If you really want to continue then...

If you look closely at the picture the bar that goes from one side of the top hat to the other sits in the slot cut in the end of the shaft that it sits on. When the bar sheers off it still looks fine but it just turns in the top hat without turning the top hat ... at least that is what I think people are trying to say.

Edited by michael_t

Hi Cabby,

Yes that top hat looks ok. My suggestion is to put that back on and check the adjustment of the little eccentric post that the springs sit on. Check out the Jim Snell videos in particular this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A80n7zq80n8 and go to time 6:28 to see this actual adjustment.

That sets the center return point of the mechanism between each shift. If it's not right then the little cams in the shift drum won't drop into place for the next up-shift.

Also, you need to have the chain on the bike and spin the rear wheel while shifting (and either slip the clutch on or put some resistance on the clutch shaft). This is because the dogs on the gears don't usually line up until things start turning at different speeds.

Last time I had mine apart I was convinced it wouldn't shift the higher gears but once it was all together and I took it for a ride, it was shifting just fine. Testing on the bench is always difficult.

Chris.

OK, next problem then is, how the bloody hell do you get the thing back on and expect the spring to stay coiled ?? There seems no place for it to be retained ??

Also, the bold on the bottom left hand corner was removed and now has no thread to catch to go back in ???