Rear Mud Guard On My '74 Ty250

fxstbi

I'm restoring a '74 250 and when I disassembled it I noticed that the rear mud guard is completely worn through on the left side from the tire rubbing it through the years. I've tried to get it centered better than the original holes will allow but the tire still rubs. Anyone one experience this and if so what did you do? I've seen used mud guards on eBay and some of them have the same wear as mine. I'm interested in any suggestions or solutions will be appreciated. I have no problem modifying if necessary. Thanks in advance.

also check for:

a twist in the swingarm (wheel axle not horizontal) (common)

the arms of the swingarm being bent off to one side (rare)

the rear frame loop being bent to one side (common)

the wheel rim not being centered on the spoke flanges (rare)

the main frame bent in the middle (puts one swingarm pivot hole ahead of the other) (rare)

The shockies being a different length when fully compressed (maybe only one has a bump stop)

If you haven't worked out what the problem is by this point, I suggest to start with, you take the seat, seat surround, rear guard and end muffler off, pump up the rear tyre, set the axle adjusters on the same notch, set the bike up so the steering axis is vertical and have a look at how vertical the back wheel is and what the chain alignment looks like

Then take the shocks off and see what happens when you move the wheel to the top of its travel

Thank you both for the quick replies! I did a through check and the swing arm did have a slight twist causing the tire to tilt left a bit. I pulled the 'arm, clamped it down to my steel table using a scrap piece of round stock through the pivot and measured the difference between the axel slots on each side. It was off about 3/32". I blocked the left leg of the 'arm and smacked the right leg with my rubber mallet a few times and it straightened right out. I reassembled everything and everything is back to verticle! Easy.

Thanks again!

Edited by fxstbi
  • Like 2