Setting For Front Suspension

jay

:lol: Could anyone tell me what the flat head type screw is called on the top of my front forks, and i only have one, the other is missing (do i need a replacement?).If it is to set the suspension, which is what i'm guessing as it clicks when altered how do i go about setting it correctly for my weight (12 stone)

Beta rev-3 250cc 2000, upside down style forks

Any help would be appreciated chaps

I'll state up front that I don't know the Y2K model Rev3 with the USD-ers but from you description the screw you're turning is the compression damping adjuster (sometimes called the "clicker" funnily enough :lol:) This controls how quickly the forks compress and put simply, the "softness" (or "hardness") of the suspension. Usually it's a case of turn clockwise to increase the damping action, anti-clockwise to decrease.

I might be off the mark here ('cos like I said, I don't know the USD forks) but the other adjuster is usually the spring precompression adjuster and controls the ride height. Obviously, fork oil weight (and quality) has a big influence on the range of compression and damping adjustment available.

There's no "correct" suspension setup as such, it's more a case of whatever works for you but "as soft as possible without bottoming" is a good starting point, as is making sure that both end of the bike compress and respond in sync (ie, you don't have the front harder than the rear or vice versa - this can make for some very interesting handling characteristics!)

All of this is IMHO of course, and for a more authoritative opinion there's a very good article on trials suspension tuning on GasGas USA's site.