1975 M151 Kick-Starter Chatter

srm

Hi, 

Apologies for resurrecting a very old thread, but i have just rebuilt my Pursang engine and when starting the engine the kickstart ratchet was not disengaging, so constantly chattered. 

The thread above was very helpful and clarified what my issue was, as i missed the reference in the manual to rotating the kickstart shaft to set the shaft spring tension. Very time consuming error on my part!! 

I have stripped the engine down and again and have now tensioned the shaft spring.

Can i check if this is the correct position of the inner ratchet and the spring tension? I want to be sure before i put it all back together and back in the frame. 

Thanks very much in advance.

Max

IMG_0686.thumb.jpg.8c49d0d3e1c32631261ef3a74d17ec8b.jpg

IMG_0689.thumb.jpg.f7a8445fb91e89a2eae47ae27c213adc.jpg

Thanks for confirming Lorenzo.

The chamfered hole on the shaft is indeed at 9 o'clock in its 'resting' position, so fitting the external return spring should be OK. (although a frustrating exercise)

The crack looks a lot worse in the close up pics than it does in real life. It is not visible on the underside of the case, more an indentation, so think i am OK to live with it for now. Might well regret that though.

Thanks again,

Max