Weird Clutch Issue - 2015 Txt Pro Racing 250

donkey

Hey, 

Got a weird clutch issue on my 2015 txt and was hoping someone might be able to help guide me. 

The bike is just shy of 12 months old but has pretty low use. I ride enduro and just use the trials for occasional training.

Clutch was working fine. Changed the oil. Replaced the oil with 75w. Correct quantity.

After the oil change I started getting an intermittent issue where the clutch works perfectly, then suddenly it goes rock solid at about half pull level on the clutch lever. The actual clutch still disengages somewhat reluctantly and ends up with more drag than normal - but the lever usually stays solid at the halfway point.

This happens intermittently during the course of an hour or two on the bike. One minute the clutch is working perfectly and the lever goes through its full motion then suddenly it gets the half way issue again. The frequency of the half pull issue is about 20-30% of the time. 

A few patterns I have noticed and things I've done. 

When cold the clutch works work perfectly. Once its hot the issue starts. 

When the half way issue happens if I brake and come to a stop the clutch (usually) disengages fully and the lever (usually) comes all the way in but with a slight pulsing as if dragging. 

Clutch lever adjustment is fine. 
Have bled the system fully twice but to no avail. 

I havent pulled the clutch apart nor fiddled with the hydraulics (except bleeding).

The issue does seem to be increasing in frequency. 

I've done a fair bit of searching for solutions but most of the posts I can find refer to just a stiff clutch on relatively old used bikes.

Any thoughts as to where I need to start looking? Am I going to have to pull the clutch apart and measure it already?

Thanks for any help you can give. 

Had this before. It sounds like the allen bolt in the centre is loose, it unwinds until it hits the top hat from the slave cylinder. When you pull the clutch you hold the bolt still and as the shaft is spinning it winds in again or vice versa. Dont use a ball end hex as the head on the bolt is shallow

Thanks guys - the help is much appreciated. Will pull the cover off an check as soon as I can get to it and confirm if thats it. 

Would make sense that the screw is backing out and in as it fits with the irregular pattern of when the issue happens. 

I'd read the threads on here about the finger height and pack size. I'd figured that having had very little use both would probably be alright. Haven't had a chance to check the basket screw yet on account of being out of the country. 

• 4 months later...

Sounds like the bolt holding the clutch basket on has come slack.it happened to me with my sherco.the clutch would go solid if I reved the bike it would work again

Finally got around to pulling the clutch cover off - your answer was bang on....... ! 

That bolt had sheared off a couple of mill below the head. Thankfully it was just holding in there somehow and hadnt got loose in the clutch. Even luckier the thread left in there wasnt tight and I was easily able to get it out using an easy out. 

Have now replaced it and its time to get back to playing on the bike. 

Thanks to all of you for the help. 

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to the collective (and thankfully retained) wisdom of the forum; I had exactly this issue after this morning's ride, and the described cause and solution were spot-on. Other than Nigel Dabster I don't recognize any of the contributors so I don't know if you're still active, but thanks again.

Dale

Edited by d2w