Oset Sla Batteries, I Found Them Cheaper - Should I Buy Them?

chad_gates

Hello from Scotland,

I have just acquired 2x 20.0s and now realise that I'll be needing a second set of batteries. I'm not yet ready for lipo.

I see I can buy from Oset at £39.99, or from intamicro https://www.intamicro.co.uk/p-653-rec10-12-yuasa-battery-12v-10ah.aspx

for £24.99. probably elsewhere too.

As I am buying two sets, the price difference is significant. Anyone know a reason not to go with the cheaper supplier?

Also, what is the perceived wisdom regarding off-bike charging? I was thinking of buying a socket like on the bike and simply attaching it to the batteries. Can anyone point me to a source for the socket?

Can I balance the current and future batteries by individually charging them using my newly created shorty charger cable?

Can anyone recommend a handy volt meter that I can easily keep close to the batteries, to help me check them regularly? I'll need 4.

I also note I'll have to buy lanyards for the bikes too. I read previous posts about saving £25 with a DIY solution, has anyone any further/better advice to help?

Many thanks, very impressed with the bikes.

Cheers,

CG

if they are the same make and capacity batteries then there is no reason not to buy them.  yes you can charge the batteries off the bike . not sure what socket they use i will try to find out ..

you will only need 2 voltmeters if you want to monitor the 2 sets of batteries .. ebay sell a small standalone 15-120v dc waterproof panel voltmeters for around £4 each.. you could wire them into the bikes permently ( use a small fuse ) ,  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-digital-voltmeter-DC15-120V-12v-24v-36v-48v-72v-99v-Volt-Panel-Meter-/321547865324?hash=item4addbf0cec:g:hfsAAOSwajVUN5A6

edit:

this is the socket that you need http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-3-way-audio-locking-connector-chassis-plug-fm51f

the picture show a higher in count you only need a 3 pin type, you could prob get them much cheaper from ebay.

Edited by gwhy

just get a small cheap mulimeter ( around £5 ) thiw swill be good enough for testing battery voltages, you dont what to keep something connected to the batterys if they are nor being charged or discharged.. the small voltmeters are good to have pemently fitted on the bike as it will be a good indication .. i.e like a fuel gauge 

Hi Chad, I too run a spare set of lead acids for the wee boys 20 racing.

Always charge them on the bike but I reakon I could swap them in less than 2 minutes.

Did away with the fiddly battery bag and use heavy duty reusable cable ties to keep everything in place.

Dont know if this is good practice but the bike does get used under trial conditions with no problems.

Maybe see you around.

Cheers the noo.