Indicator Trouble

declan96

hi, just bought a 09 gas gas txt 250 pro and it is already partly road legal, its got headlight, horn and tail light. ive already managed to get the brake light working when the pedal or lever is pressed but I'm having trouble with the indicators.

Around the headlight theres 2 earths and 2 coloured wires for the front indicators (green and brown) and at the rear there is just the 2 coloured wires for the indicators (again green and brown) il take an earth off the frame for these.

The problem is that theres also another 3 wires at the rear (red, white, blue) which I crimped connectors onto, this originates from the switch at the handlebars and the dash light , I thought that this could be where the relay goes but the voltage I'm getting off this is around 1.2v ac on each of the wires regardless of the switch position?

There is a relay plug at the headlight which has 12v ac coming off of one of the wires which made me think that this was for the relay but when I bridge it (which ive done successfully on other bikes) the dash computer backlight comes on? this makes me think that this is nothing to do with the indicators at all.

the main thing I'm trying to work out is which one should I be bridging to get the indicators to come on? the one at the headlight or the one under the seat?

any help greatly appreciated

Declan

post-22449-0-99431700-1459704121_thumb.jpgpost-22449-0-79973300-1459704132_thumb.jpgpost-22449-0-50557000-1459704146_thumb.jpg

ive got a parts manual but unfortunately it doesnt have a proper wiring diagram and have looked online but cant find one. the miltimeters definately on the correct setting and I thought 1.2v ac seems to much for residual voltage?

I'm unsure, 2 of the wires coming out of it go to ground and the other one goes up into the computer (not to the indicator idiot light). as it goes into the computer I am wondering if its anything to do with the speedo function on the computer? (preferably I want the speedo wired up aswell).

the lighting on it is factory fitted according to the last owner and the wires are connected under the seat with a proper plug (not crimped connectors) so they don't look to be diy. on the rear wires none of them are earths but the white and blue wires have continuity between eachother, the voltages also seem to change slightly depending on the position of the indicator switch?

thanks for your help so far

Declan

The computer/Speedo will need a wire or two, depending on sensor type, to a sensor on either wheel (preferably front) these could be the ones from block connector. Fof indicators why not add another wire connected to the live side of your light switch to provide power to your indicator switch then add your own wiring circuit for indicators. Include a 5A in line fuse in the circuit too.

ive got it sorted now, two of the plugs were wired in wrong (from the switch to the plug and the speedo to the rear 3 wires) i switched these over and now the indicators are working. so the plug at the headlight is for the indicator relay and the back 3 wires are for the speed sensor.

• 3 years later...
On 4/11/2016 at 12:09 PM, declan96 said:

ive got it sorted now, two of the plugs were wired in wrong (from the switch to the plug and the speedo to the rear 3 wires) i switched these over and now the indicators are working. so the plug at the headlight is for the indicator relay and the back 3 wires are for the speed sensor.

I realize this is a really old post, but I'm to do the same thing.  I got my speedo to work, but it doesn't register distance. Any ideas?