Trials Newbie

combat20

A couple of months ago I inadvertently came across a couple of guys practising for an upcoming local trials competition, met a guy from my hometown, he let me ride his Beta, I was hooked, have since searched for a late model trails bike, no luck, but did find a new 2016 Montesa 4RT260, snatched it up before it was bought by a "competitor", more bike than I need, but it was available. Have since been practicing in back yard, very challenging, pros make it look easy to ride very slowly/stopped and stay balanced. Next step is to hookup with local riders. I am sure I will find this forum helpful as I have found for other bikes I own.

Have also determined that a Rekluse clutch would be wonderful for this type of riding - love it on my KTM, but would equate to an unfair advantage in competition.

G'day,

Combat20

"Have also determined that a Rekluse clutch would be wonderful for this type of riding"

"but would equate to an unfair advantage in competition"

​More like a handicap........

:popcorn:  :guinness:  :beer:  :wall:   

Edited by billyt

Have also determined that a Rekluse clutch would be wonderful for this type of riding - love it on my KTM, but would equate to an unfair advantage in competition.

G'day,

Combat20

Having some experience of an automatic clutch (not off road) I can say that billyt is right. Sometimes you want to ease the clutch out and sometimes you want to bang it out. Neither is necessarily rev-related so you don't want to be tied to only one option.

Welcome to the world of Trials riding!

My question is:

Why would you hamper your learning skills to ride trials by negating one of the most important controls for modern trials riding? You have a top notch modern machine.

If you plan to progress and move up in ability and types of sections to ride it is essential to not to fear but embrace the clutch and learn how and when to use it. We are so fortunate to have bikes with hydraulic clutches with one finger capability.

Save the $$$ you would spend on the Rekluse and use it to attend a trials school that will show you how and when to use it. You will be glad you did!

• Like 1