2002 Scorpa Fender?

sterzy

Hello All,

Brand new to this forum...

- tried to introduce myself and couldn't

- searched for my topic without any success?

so here goes...

I have a 2002 SY250 and I want to know if I can drill out the two rear brass inserts in the airbox, the ones that hold the fender on. I'd like to put 2 zap-straps (zip-ties) through the holes but I'm not sure how much material is available before hitting the air chamber if drilled out. One of the inserts has its threads destroyed, possibly by a previous owner.

Any info or direction would be appreciated.

Sterzy,

Don't drill them out. Go to the hardware store and get some nylon screws. They will pull out or break off and won't damage your fender or the inserts. If you take out the inserts you may cause an air leak path. I will try to post a photo of my bike with the nylon screws and will let you know the size of the screw later.

Ciao

Doug Wilson

Doug,

I know the size (M5x0.8) and can get the parts easily enough. $1.50CDN/each from the local shop or $6.50US/100 from McMaster-Carr. My problem is that I usually end up breaking the screws off in the middle of a ride and don't have anyway of clearing the hole out (while everyone waits) and re-securing the fender back on fast.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried and verified that this thin section of the airbox actually has an air cavity behind it and is not solid near the edge where the insert is.

Thanks for the response.

Sterzy,

I some times break them off during a ride but have had no trouble extracting them with the small screw driver blade on my Leatherman. The one time it was a little difficult I just heated up the blade with a butane lighter and made a slot in the screw. I don't use metric screws I think that it is a 10-32 that will work. They cost me about 1$ for 6 of them at Lowes or Home Depot. I use my Leatherman to cut them to length.

Ciao

Doug Wilson

The brass inserts are indeed M5, I damaged the threads on mine and drilled them out and re tapped them to M6. The insert is very near to breaking through to the air box, when I drilled mine I drilled a little too far and swarf dropped through into the box.

This presented no real problem other than having to remove the box to clean the swarf out properly. The new M6 screws obviously filled the hole.

I would advise against trying to make the hole big enough for cable ties as the tie would not fill the hole.

Hope this helps