Which Gas-gas?

chang

this is my first time on - so please forgive me if I screw-up!

After 4 years on it I've finally decided to part with my '99 Techno 250 and fancy a new Gas-Gas Pro (having received the required sanction from her indoors - you know how it is).

I've had a brief ride on a 280 and was very impressed with the handling/steering (and lack of weight!), but am not sure which engine would be best. I'm a reasonable Clubman class rider and prefer a livelier/free-revving engine (took the flywheel weight off the Beta - for me a big improvement).

I'm told the 300 is "smoother" which might suit my abilities - but does that mean it's also heavier on the fly-wheel? Also told that the 249 is a bit wick at the bottom end which might make it more difficult to ride - but if that also means it's revvier I might prefer it anyway.

It's not every day you spend

I have a new '04 249 Pro and agree that it is quite quick at the bottom end. Not uncontrollable but noticeable after the '02 Pro that i had previously.

My trouble is I haven't had any practice tme on it yet, only ridden in events which isn't ideal for getting used to the new bike.

Most stuff ridden in bottom gear as there is enough power in the engine to make it very useable. Second only where a lot more speed is required.

I am more than happy with my purchase, with the quality having improved significantly over previous models.

I'm in the same situation, deciding between 250, 280 and 300. I've had 2 280s (2002 and 2003) and really liked both. The 2003 was definitely softer with more bottom than the 2002. I've ridden the 2003 250 and really liked it. Slightly more controllable than the 280 (less wheel spin), but still lots of power.

Cubby, was your 2002 Pro a 250 too?

Hi JTT

Yeah, I previously had a Pro 250. Really got on well with that bike. Won the local Clubmans championship on it. B)

Looking forward to getting some decent practise time on the new bike when I get back from holidays next week.

Unless you are a really good expert rider I would say that the 250 would be enough.