Cold Starting

neonsurge

My trusty 2003 Rev-3 250 has suddenly started to be a real beeatch to start from cold. It used to be one or two kicks, now it takes nine or ten good solid boots before she fires up. It's not a huge problem since once warmed up it runs perfectly and (re)starts first kick every time but I'd like to know where this problem has come from since I haven't done anything to it recently apart from the usual carb and filter cleaning etc. I don't think it's even a consequence of the recent cold weather since it's been relatively warm on a couple of days I've ridden in the past couple of weeks and the problem was still there.

I've cleaned everything that might need cleaning, changed the plug, checked the stator and timing and doused all of the electrics in WD. Anyone offer any other suggestions?

Like I said, it's not a huge problem, just something I'd like to resolve at some point 'cos I'm fed up of being knackered from kicking before I even get on the bike!

I to have an 03 250 and mine started to suffer from the same problem

It got worse until it wouldn’t start at all.

It was the CDI unit that was causing all the grief

See if you can borrow one to try they’re quite easy to swap over

As soon as I put another CDI box on mine it when first kick again

Neonsurge, if you are getting fed up of kicking the Beta over, take the ultra reliable Gas Gas out, that you have got sitting in your garage!

I don't think I could move that Gasser - it's rotted to the garage floor! I think a viking funeral would be the most appropriate course of action for that fine piece of precision Spanish engineering.

Edited by neonsurge

Have you landed on the skid pan hard recently? that could cause your float level to become mis-aligned. I experienced this problem w/ my 04 Beta. Once I re-set the tabs to the proper level, which I think is either 7/16ths or 9/16ths off the base when held upside-down, it made all the difference w/ starting.

Now that I come to think of it... this starting problem appeared about the same time that I adjusted the float height slightly to cure the old dribbly carb problem. Suddenly everything makes sense!

I haven't done the factory carb mod that r2w linked to but I guess if I did and put the floats back to the factory settings, this cold starting problem would disappear. I don't think I'll bother since I wouldn't really trust myself wielding a drill on such a critical component and the "rocking before starting" method works well. In any case, I'm glad I've got to the bottom of it (with everyone's help)!