WOW- What a bike !!

animal1806

So an update on the bike. I was lucky enough to have another ago on the Mont this weekend in the wet. Now the question is what is the knack on riding in the wet on a Mont? I found it has loads of power and torque but I just couldn't get grip where on my 12 year Beta 2t I would have flown up. Now i have to admit I was trying to ride it like a 2t and have read that you need to change your riding style on 4t but it has thrown a spanner in the works as now i don't know if I should get a Mont and take the time to get used to it or stick with a 2t. I would love to hear peoples opinions on both to try and help with my decision as i am now at a totally loss on which way to go. Thanks everyone.

13 hours ago, animal1806 said:

So an update on the bike. I was lucky enough to have another ago on the Mont this weekend in the wet. Now the question is what is the knack on riding in the wet on a Mont? I found it has loads of power and torque but I just couldn't get grip where on my 12 year Beta 2t I would have flown up. Now i have to admit I was trying to ride it like a 2t and have read that you need to change your riding style on 4t but it has thrown a spanner in the works as now i don't know if I should get a Mont and take the time to get used to it or stick with a 2t. I would love to hear peoples opinions on both to try and help with my decision as i am now at a totally loss on which way to go. Thanks everyone.

So, you've found the 4RT's achilles heel...............harder to find grip in wet or muddy conditions

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 3:17 PM, johnnyboxer said:

So, you've found the 4RT's achilles heel...............harder to find grip in wet or muddy conditions

Again, I disagree...  it's riding style and preference in my experience.  

My 2 cents...

Everyone I have known who tries a 4RT (usually mine) coming from a 2T background has found much the same as you have that it's a different riding style so has more grip in one condition and less in others, usually less in the wet moss and mud.  

Everyone I know who has started on a 4RT has a similar experience when going to 2T. A friend of mine who rides a 4RT and myself have both had more trouble in the wet moss and mud when on a 2T.  

This is just my friend and I's experience and the experience of others who have tried my Montesa so is a small sample.  So could I be mistaken?  Sure.

Yet it at least would indicate it might be more an how and not a what.  

On 11/05/2018 at 12:22 PM, compactpete said:

I've an 09 Gas Gas 250 which I am thinking of changing. I have recently been lucky to get to try a 2018 Beta 300 ss, a 2018 Sherco 250 factory, a 2017 Sherco 250 and a 2017 Montesa 4rt.

I'm a novice and all felt superior to my Gas Gas but my favourite was the 4rt (closely followed by the Beta) the motor is just stunning and I was immediately able to tackle stuff I struggle with on my Gas Gas.

I've read lots about a so called lack of grip but I thought the grip was incredible, even on the very greasy hills. Maybe it just suits my riding style?

try a brand new gas gas to your bike is ten years old.

7 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

Again, I disagree...  it's riding style and preference in my experience.  

My 2 cents...

Everyone I have known who tries a 4RT (usually mine) coming from a 2T background has found much the same as you have that it's a different riding style so has more grip in one condition and less in others, usually less in the wet moss and mud.  

Everyone I know who has started on a 4RT has a similar experience when going to 2T. A friend of mine who rides a 4RT and myself have both had more trouble in the wet moss and mud when on a 2T.  

This is just my friend and I's experience and the experience of others who have tried my Montesa so is a small sample.  So could I be mistaken?  Sure.

Yet it at least would indicate it might be more an how and not a what.  

which would be fine if they were consistent but i gave up after 2 years as some conditions just caught me out every trial, but it was always a surprise. A mont is great when youre riding it but if you get in trouble it seems to suck you into holes.

24 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

which would be fine if they were consistent but i gave up after 2 years as some conditions just caught me out every trial, but it was always a surprise. A mont is great when youre riding it but if you get in trouble it seems to suck you into holes.

Yep - watching the same section at SSDT- you see the 4rt riders (experienced ones) getting hung up on stuff and drop into holes that all the 2t riders make short work of 

Watch 100 riders through a section and see which bikes drop less marks

It ain't most 4rt riders in my observations 

Great bikes - but more riders at 2t mounted 

• Like 1