TY 250 A Tailpipe cleanup advice?

Tillerman6

8 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

Well I would have screwed that up for sure. I was thinking of hanging it up on a steel coat hanger  with the outlet end down.  So that was mistake #1.  The other mistake would have been heating the outside of the pipe with the propane weed burner instead of the inside. 

SO YOU DON'T HEAT THE OUTSIDE AT ALL???

And if the only way to stop the rust is to fire it up on the bike, then I will have to wait for the cylinder to come back from Millenium. 

Could I use some fogging oil for an outboard motor? and then plug up both ends until the cylinder gets back on?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  I do really appreciate your help!

Yes you can squirt oil inside or any other way to get oil in there.

Yes you can heat the outside, but the idea is to burn the gunk that is on the inside, so you need a fire happening inside. If you direct a torch inside, you can accomplish this easier. If you only heat the outside it will take longer and you will need a way to create a draft through it to provide oxygen for the fire.

If you have big and small LPG torches you could heat up the shell with the big one, then aim the small one into the pipe so that air gets sucked into the pipe with the small flame and is carried through.

I usually use a big oxy-acetylene welding tip and direct the flame inside the pipe until the gooey carbon starts to burn (lots of dark smoke comes out the other end and the pipe wall starts glowing dull red in a ring at the closest end to the torch). I then turn the acetylene off and blow pure oxygen in with the welding tip which pulls in air with it. I control the flow of the oxygen to control how fast things are happening inside. The glowing ring slowly moves through the pipe until it gets to the other end.

Be prepared for a big bang if the conditions are right inside the pipe. Think about what is happening inside there - especially if you decide to use oxygen.

No problems hanging the pipe up to do it, but if you want to move it around while it is hot, I find it easier to do it with the pipe on the ground.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 2:30 AM, feetupfun said:

Yes you can squirt oil inside or any other way to get oil in there.

Yes you can heat the outside, but the idea is to burn the gunk that is on the inside, so you need a fire happening inside. If you direct a torch inside, you can accomplish this easier. If you only heat the outside it will take longer and you will need a way to create a draft through it to provide oxygen for the fire.

If you have big and small LPG torches you could heat up the shell with the big one, then aim the small one into the pipe so that air gets sucked into the pipe with the small flame and is carried through.

I usually use a big oxy-acetylene welding tip and direct the flame inside the pipe until the gooey carbon starts to burn (lots of dark smoke comes out the other end and the pipe wall starts glowing dull red in a ring at the closest end to the torch). I then turn the acetylene off and blow pure oxygen in with the welding tip which pulls in air with it. I control the flow of the oxygen to control how fast things are happening inside. The glowing ring slowly moves through the pipe until it gets to the other end.

Be prepared for a big bang if the conditions are right inside the pipe. Think about what is happening inside there - especially if you decide to use oxygen.

No problems hanging the pipe up to do it, but if you want to move it around while it is hot, I find it easier to do it with the pipe on the ground.

Feetupfun,

After I rinsed out the pipe to get the degreaser out I dried it on the BBQ.  It finally started burning on the inside and there was just enough o2 getting in that the smoke would keep going for about 4 hours.  I am hoping that this treatment was enough as I think most of the obstruction was in the Silencer since it has that swirling restriction built in.  I will know more when I get the cylinder and piston back from the shop.  The outside was probably at about 250-300 degrees and the BBQ was running about 3/4 throttle all that time, but the outer shell did not turn colors which is probably a good thing for the metal to keep it's shape.   I put some Blaster spray in both ends when it cooled off so it should not rust inside and taped over the ends to keep the air out a bit.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...