Tubeliss System Revisited

pmk

2 hours ago, b40rt said:

Never heard of a tube moving with the tyre stationary ! Every bike I've owned has tyre / tube creep with a spectrum of combinations. 

Easily proven, as I did for myself, by putting a paint marks on the tyre and the rim. Go for a ride starting with a straight valve stem. Look at it after the ride. See valve leaning over and pulled hard against one side of the hole and yet the paint marks are still in alignment. I admit to doubting that this could occur so that's why I did the experiment

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Easily proven, as I did for myself, by putting a paint marks on the tyre and the rim. Go for a ride starting with a straight valve stem. Look at it after the ride. See valve leaning over and pulled hard against one side of the hole and yet the paint marks are still in alignment. I admit to doubting that this could occur so that's why I did the experiment

I doubted this was possible as did my friend with the issue on his MAR.  He drilled the rim and installed screws.  A bit upset that the screws apparently were not holding the tire, he removed the wheel, and unseated one bead to reposition the tube.  He noted there was no torn or elongated rubber on the tires bead, simply the spots where the screws had held the tire.

• 1 month later...

Simple report.  Installed Tubliss system.  Installed onto a 2.15” wide vintage Akront rim that was laced onto the existing oem OSSA MAR rear hub.  As per Tubliss instruction recommendations, I went with a new rear tire to ensure no or minimal leaks possibly from a previous rim lock scarred area.

Even following instructions, the Dunlop 803 was a tough challenge to seat the bead of the tire onto the rim.  Even once seated, I deflated the tire, and the Tubliss to allow the Tubliss bladder to settle into position.  Immediately, the Dunlop fell off the rim bead seat area on both sides with simply being deflated.

Reinflated, bead seated and Tubliss inflated.  Wheel was reinstalled and tested at 3 psi in the yard.  Bead stayed seated.

Had an event Sunday.  Rode the entire event at 3 1/2 psi, tire never dropped off the rim towards the center.

Being a lower class rider, with far less experience than all of you, the lines I rode were mostly rolling with no hops.  The rear certainly found more than enough grip, and felt more stable.  After the event, I rode my buddies MAR, same rear tire and pressure.  Granted, his rear damping is firmer, but it did seems my bike had more grip.  Advertising mentions it is the added ability of the tire to flex because of no tube.  Maybe, but honestly, it could be we used two different gauges when setting up, or me running the 2.15 and him the 1.85 rim.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1