Wet weather gear?

jossysouter

As the title suggests what wet/cold weather gear do people have/use/like? 

Especialy for Trials such as the 6day as the Scott.

Currently I have a light weight Hebo jacket, a old soft shell jacket, standard farmers legging and seal skin socks. The sock are the only things I would total recommend for a wet/cold the other stuff does the job but not brilliant. 

Looking to get some fresh stuff so what do you suggest? 

Army surplus goretex top and troosers for me - cheap and highly effective!

Works nicely as an extra layer when in the dry, you won't find anything more waterproof, the trousers go on over boots, and they pack away into a small package.  Also works well as an emergency set of waterproofs for road bikes :)

• Thanks 1

Basically you can forget trials gear - it's all designed for romping in Spanish sunshine.  SSDT riders seem to get satisfactory results using "outdoor" jackets.  Those who bother with waterproof trousers seem to use what might be your farmer's leggings.

Never having ridden it I get the impression that Scott competitors don't bother too much - they are certainly working hard enough to stay warm, but something carried in case of breakdown could save a hypothermia attack.

In a short circuit trial it has to be really bad before I bother but over my trials gear use an old cycling jacket and stretchy PVC overtrousers kindly provided by my old employer. That's only once every few years though.

If you get the right camo though you might conceal a few dabs☺

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Army surplus goretex top and troosers for me - cheap and highly effective!

Works nicely as an extra layer when in the dry, you won't find anything more waterproof, the trousers go on over boots, and they pack away into a small package.  Also works well as an emergency set of waterproofs for road bikes :)

Same here, Combat Camo on my Combat Camo. Only trouble is if I fall off in the bushes, no one will ever spot me!

I use those ex army goretex bootliners as well, much better than Sealskinz and a third of the price.

When it's really cold, try something that wicks away the sweat under the rest of your kit, like Alphaskin shirt and leggins. Stops all the sweat and condensation cooling off against your skin.

The good thing about a sweat wicking base layer is it can be a top layer in the summer, too :)

I've got a couple of nice t-shirt shaped workout tops from Tescos that are ideal, and I got a running top designed for Muslim ladies for when I need to have my arms covered in summer competitions

16 hours ago, goudrons said:

Same here, Combat Camo on my Combat Camo. Only trouble is if I fall off in the bushes, no one will ever spot me!

I use those ex army goretex bootliners as well, much better than Sealskinz and a third of the price.

When it's really cold, try something that wicks away the sweat under the rest of your kit, like Alphaskin shirt and leggins. Stops all the sweat and condensation cooling off against your skin.

I think sealskinz are worth the money and are better than the army ones re comfort and warmth.

• Like 1

Having recently ridden the West of England Moor to sea trial, I can only say that my feet in Sealskinz socks were the only dry part of me. The Hebo Gortex jacket now leaks like a sieve, its never been in a washing machine...  I'm going to try a Hi viz waterproof jacket,thinking it will help being seen on winter road trials. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dabba said:

Gore-tex products need to be machine washed and tumble dried to maintain their water repellant qualities.

https://www.gore-tex.co.uk/gore-tex-wash-instructions

Thank you for that,can't remember who told me not to machine wash it... I'll give it a go and see if I can refresh its waterproofing ability.

• 1 month later...

I seem to remember that the ‘works riders’ travelled light and fiened any need for extra waterproofing, unless of course you were wearing Elgrin stuff. The favoured option ( I’m going to show my age here) was to find a fertiliser bag and with suitable holes cut you slipped a polythene bag over your head popped your arms out each side and heypresto instant waterproof covering. Pah to your Goretex yet to be invented miracle material.

• Haha 1